We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Augsburg
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Hi all,

we are planning to fly to Namibia at the middle of October this year. We are 4 persons and I have to admit, neither of us has got any experience with self-driving travels in africa at all (though I've been to Botsuana for 2 weeks already, but with a big group and a guide). But I've heard that Namibia is a good start for unexperienced travelers, and we got 2 people who just can't afford doing some guided agency-sort-of-tour, so we will have to do this on our own or don't do it at all.

I've read many traveling websites already and been on about 20 or 30 car renting sites, but the most troubles we got is a good itinerary for our tour ...

Of course, we want to spend a few days in Etosha, at least 3, because our main aim for this vacation is to see animals. Lots of animals. My favorite idea so far is to go to 3 - 4 different camps in Etosha, each for 1 night, so we can see most of the flora and fauna. Do you think this is a good idea, or would you say we should stick to one or maybe two camps, but don't hit it big time like I would like to?

Our second big aim is to see the desert. A real desert where there's no light pollution and a completely clear night sky with millions of stars to see. I don't know if it's possible and I find it hard to get that information from google, but I would LOOOVE to sleep in some kind of desert chalet or something ...

Well, that second goal of ours will most likely lead us to Sossusvlei, right? I've tried to gather information, and I've found lots of camping sites and lodges, but I just don't see if it's the kind of desert experience that we have in mind.

I don't know how much time Etosha and Sossusvlei will consume, but I think there's still some time left if we have about 14 whole days in Namibia? (We arrive at Windhoek)

Do you probably have any itinerary suggestions for people who don't want to see any culture (towns, etc.), but just lots of animals and nature? Perhaps some places where we can do nice day trekkings without the fear of being eaten by lions or being robbed and raped coz we're some idiot tourists doing this kind of trip the first time? ;-)

thanks in advance!

cheers, Dirk

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

hi walrus!

you said that you like trekking, so if you want the ultimate desert experience, do the tok tokkie trails, this is hiking in the desert, but with a little luxury, they offer 3 day 2 nights packages.

Namib Naukluft is a also a great place for hiking.

spitzkoppe is a must visit, then onto Damaraland, here you can also try Palmwag lodge or Khowarib Lodge if grootberg is full.

Augsburg
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Thanks again for your suggestions, I think I'll add Spitzkoppe if it's a must see! :-)

As for the TOs, I've sent mails to

Charly's Desert Tours

and

CrissCross Namibia

Don't know if they're any good, just found them on this website:

http://www.orusovo.com/namtour/tourops.htm

Does anyone recognize a TO from the site and know if it's good?

Augsburg
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

@NamXpert

Just saw that you are working for a TO? Suricate Safaris Namibia?

So maybe Suricate Safaris Namibia can do the Tour operating for us, now that we're talking already and you know what we need and want? ;-)

Namibia
Level Contributor
556 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

You can gladly contact us and we can see what we can do for you. Send me a private message or google our company and you will find me.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

I agree with the Tok Tokkie Trails suggestions. Sleep under the stars and get a closeup view of the desert - chameleons, crickets, golden moles, scorpions, etc, all in the company of experts.

There are also lodges where you can sleep on the chalet roof or roll your bed outside so that you sleep under the stars. It's an amazing exprience.

california
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Email Gemma at Discover Namibia also. She is the destination expert and did a fabulous trip for me last year. I already have her working on a return trip for next year.

Augsburg
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Tried the booking for the october flights now, and as always, there's trouble getting the perfect date for 4 people that are working.

Now it seems the best date for all would be to take off here from November 18.

But is this too late for a Namibia trip, maybe? What do you say, better to fly October, 18, or in the middle of November?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

October is marginally better as it starts to get warm after then. But if all you can do is November then do it.

Better than staying at home.

Augsburg
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Yes! Booked the flights yesterday for october. Africa, we're coooomiiiiiiiing! :-)

Edited: 21 June 2013, 07:50
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Suggestions for our Namibia itinerary? :)

Walrus , you will love it. No probs or fears about safety.

Don't skimp on Etosha.

Go to Damaraland.