We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia Holiday advise please

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Topic
Namibia Holiday advise please

Hi, i have been planning a trip to Namibia for a while now and would like to hear from people if my route and time available are satisfactory. I am travelling with my wife and two children. The children will be 4 and 7 when we start the trip. This is my planned route. Any suggestions? Add or remove and places to stay. Wife not crazy about camping so would like to limit camping accommadation, any other accomadation will do.

CapeTown

Ai Ais 2 nights

Aus 1 night

Sesriem 1 night

Windhoek 1 night

Okaukuejo - etosha 3 nights

halali 1 night

Okahandja 1 night

Keetmanshoop 1 night

Rietfontein

2 nights in the park before exiting at Twee Rivieren

and back to Cape town

Oh, and i am planning this trip for june / july 2015 SA school holidays. Last question, should i book through an agent?

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

I would use an Agent for the reservations.

Suggest two nights at Okaukuejo and two at Halali.

also suggest entering KTFP via Mata Mata gate unless Keetmanshoop holds some attractions that I am unaware of.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Springbok is generally the overnight stop from CT.

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Hi mfuwe

How are the roads from Mata Mata to Twee Rivieren? I have a ford everest not the 4x4 model. I have read that the route requires a 4 wheel drive. If the roads are ok then i would cross the border at Mata Mata and not at Rietfontein.

I think you are right, I should you an agent, it will all be a lot less phoning and mailing etc to sort all the bookings .

Do you know any good agents that i could use?

Thanks again mufwe

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Hi, i know Springbok is the stop over that most would use but i was planning on travelling from early around 3AM depart from Cape Town and driving while my children are asleep and hopefully arrive at the border at about 13H30 / 14H00. We will find out if it is the correct thing or not after the holiday starts. I will post the results here.

Thanks for responding braaiseason

cheers

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Gemma dry at discover Namibia has been fabulous and I've used her twice (leaving again in a few minutes). Mfuwe used her as well and can comment.

There are several others that post regularly on this forum and have great reviews. Chris, Clive, Charlotte and one more whose name slipped my mind. Any of them will do a terrific job.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

I think you would get from Mata Mata to 2rivers with your Everest. It is more about ground clearance than actually engaging 4WD. I don't recall it being necessary. The road was firm enough and well used.

For an agent the resident D/E, top right, comes highly praised on this forum. but others often mentioned on here do good jobs too.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

I think you have too many one-nighters.

Aus, Sesriem and others deserve longer. Some probably deserve less time. They are roadside stops as far as I know.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Mata mata to TweeR can be done in 2wd. A lady spent a week following cheetahs in a tiny car up and down the valley. I suspect she visited the dentist afterwards though..

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

Coming in a bit late here so I apologise if I repeat anybody...

Cape Town to Ais Ais is a big old stretch to do in one go. For foreign tourists I would certainly suggest a stopover along the route, usually around the Cederberg area and Orange River to break it up a bit....however I am very aware that South Africans are used to bundling the kids in the car and driving looong distances on the first day in order to get to where the action is, and our concept of a long drive is rather warped compared to those overseas, so just make sure you leave nice and early so you have the time to take lots of breaks and pack lots of padkos.

You will definitely need the 2 days at Ai Ais as it will take you the whole first day just to get there. The family accommodation at Ai Ais is ok.

I also think that 1 day Aus and 1 day Sesriem is a bit rushed. You will have considerable driving on bumpy roads so you won't have a lot of time to enjoy these locations once you get there. If time is tight maybe try and just squeeze an extra day at Sesriem. For Aus look at Desert Horse Inn and for Sesriem Desert Camp will be a good option for you. You can self cater and they have good facilities and it is good value, definitely worth a 2 day stay though.

Again you are going to have a good 5 hours or so back to Windhoek, so I would suggest rather pushing a bit further and staying just outside at Dusternbrook Guestfarm, as at least you have things to see there, big cats etc. Bit more interesting if you are just doing a one nighter.

From there I would go and do 2 nights at Halali, family chalet would be a good option.

Then 2 nights at Okaukuejo again Family chalet.... if the budget is straining then you can always camp these 2 as you have reasonable facilities inside Etosha.

Okahandja isn't that interesting, skip that and as you have stayed at Okaukuejo the previous night you can push a bit further south. If you are ok with a long drive in here then push down around Mariental area, Bagatelle has a great campsite and also some nice accommodations and on the value end you have Kalahari Anib Lodge and Kalahari Farmhouse, both very nice.

From there the next day you have a nice drive to Mata Mata and you have saved 2 days, the Okahandja one you spent at Mariental (So you have the Keetmanshoop and the Rietfontein ones left to add into the trip)

Personally I would add one at Sesriem and one in the Kgalagadi.

Now the subject of whether you can do Mata Mata to Twee Rivieren in a Ford Everest....I would say it is going to depend on what happens between now and when you travel.

That road is notoriously badly corrugated, as John mentioned above, quite a bone jangler, so car needs to be able to handle that.

I personally know someone who drove that in a combi and their axle broke, they were stuck in there all night till the morning when someone from the park came out to help them...not fun...lotsa lions and a bit too much adventure frankly. Generally it is not recommended unless you have a 4x4, but that is more because of the fact that a 4x4 has a higher ground clearance so it can cope better with the roads. In rainy season then no way, but in the dry you 'should' be ok....but don't quote me on that. Check back here closer to the time when we will have a better idea on the road situation there for you.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Namibia Holiday advise please

<I suspect she visited the dentist afterwards though.>

Probably not her own teeth John! Take out the top set and drive!