We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine and beer

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wine and beer

What is the average cost for a bottle of average wine or beer in a grocery store in Namibia? What size is the average bottle of beer?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine and beer

Somebody has got their priorities right!

Bottle sizes of the excellent Windhoek Lager are 375 ml and 500ml.

Hansa Draught was NAM$22 for half a litre in 2011.

Excellent Wines from South Africa are quite reasonable too as was the Gin at NAM$14 a tot.

The D/E will be more current on prices than me I am sure!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine and beer

Not really a beer drinker...but hubby likes Windhoek. I think it is a 330 ml bottle but I could be wrong. You get larger ones too. That is a popular beer. Its about 7 a bottle I think.

You can get a drinkable white for cheap cheap and a nice white wine for the N$40 plus mark in the supetmarkets.

Box wine here is also good, if you take it out of the box it will pack nicely into you car fridge if you have one.

Swakopmund actually has a better selection of wines in the local shops than where I live currently in SA...go figure.

The bottle shop next to Woermann Brock and opposite Kuckis Pub has some real gems sometimes!

Edited: 06 July 2013, 23:12
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine and beer

Perfect, thanks for the info!

Fylde
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine and beer

Be warned - supermarkets and bottle shops stop selling grog at midday Saturday and all day Sunday tho this didn't apply at the shops in Etosha.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine and beer

Ah, important thing to know, thanks! Want to be stocked up for the weekend!

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine and beer

A six-pack of Windhoek Lager (0,33l bottles) goes for around 40 N$ now, Tafel Lager (which is also very good) is slightly cheaper. Both of these beers are brewed according to the German Purity Law ("Reinheitsgebot").

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine and beer

Is it cheaper if you buy larger quantity? For example, here in Canada the price per bottle gets lower when you buy a 24 pack...

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine and beer

Hi,

not really. If you buy a crate of 24 bottles they will simply charge you 4 times 6 bottles.

The six-pack is cheaper than buying 6 single bottles, though.

Cheers,

Christian

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine and beer

Cheaper to buy the larger bottles though. And more refreshing!

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine and beer

That's true, the 750ml bottles are slightly cheaper than the small ones! If you're on the move they're a bit unpractical though. When I'm going camping I mostly buy cans, they fit into the coolbox better than bottles.