We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

español
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

Please, what is the real time drive between Otjiwarongo and Swakopmund? Google map give 4,5h, but in another web I had seen: 6h. We want to go to cheetahs reserve in the morning, to crocodile farm and, after the lunch at 14:00 will drive to Swakopmund. What time we shall stay there? Thanks all for answer.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

There are 2 ways really you can go.

I would take the shorter C33 from Otiwarongo through Omaruru to Karibib then the B2 to Swakop. That is 370kms.

You can stay on the main B roads and take the B1 to Okahandja and then the B2 to Swakopmund (longer at 452kms. Technically more of this route is 120kms, but you have more chances of big trucks on single lane traffic to pass.

With either option though it would depend on what time of year you are travelling, and 4 1/2 hours is pushing it frankly.

Best case scenario is that you are travelling in January when sunset is around 7.30pm... but if you are travelling anytime from March/April through to October time then I would say that leaving at 2pm you are really running the risk of driving in the dark.

Not something you want to do, even coming into a 'populated' area like Swakopmund. More than one occasion I have come over the rise by the golf course and been confronted by springbok at dusk.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

Sensible advice from Gemma.

Leave earlier, and have your lunch as you drive. No siesta. :-)

Driving around dusk and in the dark means the risk of animals wandering in the road.

Swakopmund, Namibia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

Maybe have lunch in Omaruru, it's a nice place.

español
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

Many thanks for answers.

5. Re: Otjiwarongo to Swakopmund: real driving time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:19