We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 3 week trip

Bolligen...
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary 3 week trip

Hello everybody

I need your advice on my planned itinerary for a three weeks self drive round trip through Namibia.

I know it's quite a classical tour, although I skipped the cities for more two-night-stayovers and I added a detour to Opuwo.

Night 1: Mariental (drive from Windhoek)

Night 2: Keetmanshoop

Night 3: Fish River

Night 4: Fish River

Night 5: Klein-Aus

Night 6: Namibrand Nature Reserve

Night 7: Namibrand Nature Reserve

Night 8: Sesriem / Sossusvlei

Night 9: Sesrien / Sossusvlei

Night 10: Swakopmund

Night 11: Swakopmund

Night 12: Spitzkoppe

Night 13: Twyfelfontein

Night 14: Opuwo

Night 15: Opuwo

Night 16: Etosha NP

Night 17: Etosha NP

Night 18: Etosha NP

Night 19: Waterberg Plateau

Night 20: Waterberg Plateau

Time: June 2014, partly camping, partly lodging, it will surely be a 4x4 rental car

1) What do you think of the itinerary, especially regarding the amount of car driving? According to my researches it should be possible day drives, but I am especially not sure about the parts Sossusvlei-Swakopmund, Twyfelfontein-Opuwo and Opuwo-Etosha Okaukuejo. Or should I add another night in the Damaraland area?

2) Would you advise to do the tour the other way round, first Etosha and then heading south?

3) My wife and I are especially interested in landscapes and animals (photography, game viewing, hiking, safari tours), that's why we skip Windhoek and Lüderitz. Shall we skip Swakopmund too or do we really miss something in these towns? I'd rather wake up ten times before sunrise than once visiting a museum or looking for a night club ...

4) I would of course make the reservations for the lodges and the campsites in Etosha. Would you advise to prebook the other camp sites? I'm not sure yet about the tradeoff of going the secure way or keeping up the schedule a bit more flexible ...

5) And a culture issue: is there a Himba friendly way of visiting a Himba village? I would really like to take a few photos, but it feels a bit awkward just to go in a village and take pictures, even when bringing some food. Anyone has an address of Himba friendly guided tours?

Thank you for your help.

Sascha

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary 3 week trip

Well the first 7 days are off my radar. Never been down there. Not much wildlife.

Swakopmund is good for a couple of days. Go to see the Cape Seals and maybe a canoe trip or boat from Walvis Bay?

Not enough time in Etosha.

3. See my comments above. I would tend to skip Epuwo too. Take two more in Etosha, Dolomite Camp, and enter at the Galton Gate. Great landscapes around Palmweg and Grootberg. Rhino tracking on foot too. So get some hiking and wildlife viewing at the same time.

4. This depends on the time of year. In the busy season I would have prebookings down the line. You could chance it at other times but the distances are vast and you don't want to risk finding one full at 17.30.

5. Culture. Is there a way of non intrusive visits?

Most Lodges can take you to a village if you wish.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary 3 week trip

What time of year are you going?

I agree with Mfuwe- add time in Damarland and Etosha. Less time in the sand and skip Epuwo.

If possible, spend time in Dolomite. With only 3 nights in Etosha, though could be tough. Add a couple nights and do Dolomite 2 nights, Halali 2nights and Okaukuejo 1 night.

Do it in the order you have. Builds to the climax of game viewing in Etosha.

Bolligen...
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary 3 week trip

June 2014 is our preferred time.

I have just read the thread about Damaraland and I think I would really enjoy a couple of days in this area. Beautiful!

And I'll check Dolomite. Thanks for the hint.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 18:03
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary 3 week trip

We are also doing a three week self drive tour this coming November. We've got the route all mapped out, you can view it here...

travelwithkevinandruth.com/2013/07/namibia-t…

We're also wanting to visit the Himba, but we don't want to do it if it's at all awkward or touristy. We would want to visit their village as we would any other village. Certainly any comments regarding that are welcome.

5. Re: Itinerary 3 week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:18