We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

I have looked a number of postings but for some reason I am still confused about the rental car and the insurance. The car is being rented through Advanced Car Hire and I just want to know what we need to take as far as insurance. We will be driving for 16 days through out the country. I always seem to feel pressured in these rental situation and feel that we often get insurance that we really do not need. Please help as we leave tomorrow. First time to Namibia and are very, very excited.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Surely, you have travel insurance? Most standard travel insurance policies will cover excess costs in cases when you are not deemed at fault. I have never hired a vehicle which did not include some sort of cover offered through the hire company. Usually you can pay more per day for reduced or zero excess but you could still be up for costs if you are found to be at fault in causing any damage to the vehicle eg. driving too fast on gravel roads or not adhering to the terms and conditions of your car hire contract which resulted in damage or loss. We usually pay a daily hire fee which includes standard cover with x amount of excess payable. Then we take a travel insurance policy which includes hire car excess to at least that amount.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Enjoy your trip LHGreenacres, (long time ago now)

Insurance with Advance is fine. The only thing that comes as an "Optional Extra" is the cover for covering the XS. some take this for full protection in case of accidents/damage, others don't. The daily rate can mount up so weight the options carefully.

I go for longer than most folks, typically 28 days, so I don't take it as the daily charge adds up almost to the level of the XS I would have to pay if I had to.

16 days is borderline. It depends on your own comfort levels. Accidents do happen. I know Advanced are very 'forgiving' about minor scrapes so you should not be exploited but you may wish to take the protection offered.

Be wary of 'outside' Excess Insurance protection cover as most do not include 4x4 vehicles.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 10:00
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Thank you Mfuwe, what should be expect to be charged if we do take the insurance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

You would be better asking the Hirer, Advanced but I would guess around NAM$200 per day. US20 so it adds up to another US$320 for you. (If I am right with the figures.)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

"we often get insurance that we really do not need."

Except for the circumstances described by mfuwe, I don't think you can have too much insurance in Namibia.

Check what is and isn't covered. In effect, mfuwe is self-insuring. He is happy to pay for damage out of his own pocket. But he is an experienced driver in Namibia.

One thing to check is whether "one-vehicle" accidents are covered. Often they are not, as it is assumed it is due to careless driving and this is quite common by tourists - driving too fast and rolling the car.

Not trying to worry you; just pointing out that some scenarios, like driving at night, are not covered by insurance, for good reason. Sticking to the speed limits is a big help. Driving on gravel is different to tarmac, and I was petrified for the first day, but you soon get used to it, and I sometimes found myself filming the scenery as we sped along mile after mile of wide empty road.... (not recommended!).

Enjoy your trip!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

I agree. I am self insuring by being prepared to pay up if and when I am unlucky to have a single car bump.

But so far I have saved $$$s by not taking the XS cover and so far so good. I am well ahead.

My reasoning is convoluted but boils down to that 28 days at N$200 per day = N$5600. The XS is N$10,000 so if I get done I pay up $N10K but have saved $5,600 so am out of pocket N$4,400 on that trip. Five trips under my belt have saved me N$28,000 so far. BUT, please note, I go for 28 days+ AND more than one visit.

Each to their own level of comfort.

Figures for illustration only!

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Also check your credit card. Mine covers a certain level of excess in namibia (including deductible, tire and windshield damage) if u pay for rental with the card.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

I repeat what I said above.

<Be wary of 'outside' Excess Insurance protection cover as most do not include 4x4 vehicles.>

Fine for Saloons/Sedans but not "Off Road" vehicles. Do check the small print for exclusions in these generic contracts.

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

U.S. Credit cards cover 4x4s--this is the land of suvs for going to the shopping mall, trucks, and hummers!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving tomorrow- Car Rental Insurance Question- Please Help

Thanks for the info. What is the approximate cost of a windshield or tire for the Toyota Hilux? If seems that would be the most likely thing that might happen that would not be in your control. My other half is an extremely safe drive rand has driven extensively on gravel roads. It seems as Mfuwe says you have to weigh things but if you are paying $400 extra and the windshield and tires are not even included. The total insurance will all the coverage would be over $500.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 13:55