We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Apologies to Karen Blixen though I always reckon Alexandra Fuller is the best author about Africa..

Anyway, back in 4 weeks, this time to KTP Damaraland and Etosha. As we are going to Bitterpan hired a Hilux plus fridge (essential says Mrs J) sand tracks, shovel, sat phone. OK its belt and braces. Also got my UV mini flash for the .....? Fill in blank. Hope to do elephant tracking at Grootberg after we emerge from the Kalahari. Then on to Dolomite, Okauquejo, and Halali. As ever excited. I will report back

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

One of my friends recently shared his experience of travelling through Richtersveld park with me. I was well and truly blown away. 4WD roads were challenging to say the least and I didn't spot any balloon safaris or Jacuzzi in his films.

Now that's what I call true wilderness and pray it stays like that till I mange to visit it sometime in the future. Just need to learn proper 4WD driving before venturing to Richtersveld.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

If there was a"Like" button, I would be clicking so many of these posts in agreement. Enjoy your trip John. Looking forward to reading about it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Supratik.

You must hurry. I am sure the Jacuzzies are on order once they get the water supply sorted.

Only one of the 'Camps' seems to have Long drops if I read it right.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Mind I don't expect I will see a pangolin.....

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

You never know John, I saw 5 honey badgers and a pangolin over a 5 days period 2 months ago. Keep your fingers crossed!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

But no one filled in the space! What's my UV torch for?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

My first thought was bug catcher but as this is Hilux thread so perhaps for oil leaks ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Close with bugs but not quite Supratik

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

Hmmm!!!

Rodents may be ?

Running out of guesses .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: I had a Hilux in Africa.......

They wander round the floor, they have big stings in their tails, they glow under ultraviolet light.

Met one in the 'bathroom' when I was working in the Pare Mountains. It was him or me.