We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhino hunting permit auction

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Rhino hunting permit auction

I am new to the forums so not 100% sure about the etiquette for such posts so please be gentle!

I was extremely disappointed to just come across this article - an issue which tryhard has recently mentioned on this forum so perhaps you're already aware. Quote from the article:

" The Dallas Safari Club will auction a hunting permit to shoot a Black rhino in Namibia during its annual convention and expo in January.

According to DSC, all proceeds from the auction have been earmarked for rhino conservation in that country. The Government of the Republic of Namibia approved the permit in accordance with CITES provisions to generate funding for rhino conservation initiatives, including anti-poaching efforts, said DSC. The hunt will take place at Mangetti National Park, in northern Namibia.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) has granted Namibia an annual export quota of up to five hunter-taken Black rhinos."

www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsDetails.aspx…

I don't pretend to completely understand the complexity of the situation in namibia but it just does not sit well with me at all that rhino can be legally hunted. Yes the funds will go to conservation but it is such a shame that a rhino needs to be killed - and moreover that any person could do this.

Namibia Tours & Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Wild Dog Safaris
Chameleon Safaris Namibia - Day Tours
Wild Wind Safaris
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Yes - black rhinos are protected, so that they can grow old and then be shot by someone who has paid a lot of money for the privilege.

An alternative would be that the rhino would grow and get lame and be killed by a predator (and not bring in any money).

I can see the logic, but, as you say, it does not sit well......

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Nothing sits well that involves the death of a wild and endangered animal. If those lovely people in Dallas Safari Club want to fund conservation they can easily do so just by sending money and not by killing an animal. How would it be if I raised funds to help street kids in Asia by selling tickets for a night with a 12 year old child in Bangkok?

Namibians who permit this are just as disgusting as the perpetrators.

There is NO logic to it, just one of man's basest instincts being gratified..

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Mfuwe: sometimes you leave me speechless. This analogy was one of those situations. And there should be a "like" button at TA.

There are so many other ways of supporting the conservation effort. I just don't get the joy of killing an animal. I have little respect for those hunters but great respect for some other kind of "shooters" who use a lens instead of a barrel. I would have joined the auction to buy a permit if it guaranteed me a close interaction and close up shot.

A classic example of a hunter who found photography much trickier and more enjoyable was the Jim Corbett.

A hunter but never a killer. The tigers of India are indebted to him.

Sadly people would always find arguments in favour of controlled trophy hunting and it'd continue.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Am I missing something here???

How do you support the conservation of rhinos by paying to kill one???

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Katheer : arguments here on the discussion forum. Some of it already touched by Peterscot

"A cranky old male can be so dominant that he prevents a younger more virile young male from breeding and is of no benefit to the gene pool. I can support the selective removal of such an individual so long as it is of benefit to the species as a whole."

"Responsible hunting of endangered species has definitely contributed to their conservation, as with the scimitar-horned oryx for example, which is now extinct in the wild but flourishes on hunting ranches in the US. If it's possible to identify a specific individual that is either overly aggressive and known to have killed other rhino's, or an old bull that is near the end of its life and likely to die of natural causes soon anyway, it may indeed benefit conservation to earn a million or more from a legitimate hunt rather than let it die from natural causes. "

I wonder what's the next thrill seeking adventure for DSC? Hunting Pandas to support their conservation?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

<"A cranky old male can be so dominant that he prevents a younger more virile young male from breeding and is of no benefit to the gene pool.>

So does this mean I am on borrowed time? If I disappear from this forum you will know why and it would be one solution to the looming Old Age pension problem.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

No way mfuwe!

Let the Old Age pension problem be damned...the forum wouldn't be the same without you!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Sadly the current conservation paradigm in Namibia and South Africa is very much 'sustainable use'. This features trophy hunting heavily. Both countries can sell five black rhino hunting permits per year. However, the trophy hunting industry also loves killing elephant, leopard (often baited) caracal, lion, white rhino, hippo, giraffe etc etc. I won't even go into the heinous canned hunting industry in South Africa. The Dallas Safari Club and other moneyed up hunting groups 'lobby' these governments heavily. The also influence CITES. The only way to try and change this is by bringing enormous public pressure to bear. This story of the Namibian black rhino hunt is all over the electronic and print media at the moment. Little do most people know that this is going on all the time. Google hunting safaris in South Africa or Namibia and see what you get. BE WARNED.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

This is a tricky subject and it doesn't sit well with lots of people here in Namibia as well. But then again it works on the principle to kill one and save many other Rhinos with the proceeds. The money from the auction will apparently bring in over a Million U$, which is going straight to the protection of the Rhinos.

Of course I'm pretty sure that Save the Rhino Trust, a Namibian NGO would highly appreciate a donation as well and everybody can make a small contribution in saving the Rhinos. Unfortunately Save the Rhino Trust is being hammered by the media in the US and Europe saying there are involved in the hunting, but that is not the case. Please have a look here and see what is being done for the Rhinos in Namibia and how you can help. http://savetherhinotrust.org If you want to help saving the Rhinos, this is one of the best NGO you can support.

Further, here's a very interesting article written by a man working for a big tourism company in Namibia and it is very well written and I would recommend that you read it as well. www.namibian.com.na/indexx.php…

It puts some light on a very tricky subject, but it's a really good article and I'm sure will spark a long debate on TA.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhino hunting permit auction

Thanks for that Clive. It is indeed a tricky debate. On the one hand it can be argued that the 'end (big donation to save many) justifies the means (the killing of one)'. However, I personally cannot support trophy hunting in any way, shape or form. To me it is the result of a pathological problem that is founded in a need for violence inflicted on an animal for a form of gratification. To condone and/or support directly or indirectly such abhorrent behaviour is just not an option for me. Thrill killing done with a justification for conservation purposes is still a thrill killing. I personally want to try to eradicate violence in this world whether perpetrated on animals or humans. I know the challenges both financial and ecological of maintaining populations of animals in what amounts to confined and managed spaces (I am a biologist). But I think we can do better than 'sustainable ab(use)'.