We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
325 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Hi

The plan is to hire a car in Cape Town and drop it off in Katima Mulilo. Has anyone done a similar journey.

How were the one way fees. Is it cheaper to do it like this?

There are suggestions it might be cheaper to fly into Windhoek @320USD each for 4 people and then drive down to Fish River Canyon and back up.

If it is really expensive. Is it possible to get a bus up and collect a car on the other side of the border?

Just trying to work out the best plan of action. I am backpacking for a year so budget is really tight.

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Last year we flew from Cape Town to windhoek hired a car and drove down to fish rather than driving up from SA.

In January we are hiring the car in Cape Town and driving up dropping the car in kasane. The one way fee is about R7000 I think. But I believe even if you fly to windhoek and drop car in katima mulilo you will also have a one way hire fee to pay. Hop on some car hire websites and get some quotes. One of the regulars on here may be able to recommend a hire company for you.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Hi there

yes, you have many different options.

if you hire a vehicle from Namibia pick-up in Cape town drop of in katima, i think this will be the cheaper option to go for,

Cape Town delivery: 6,500N$

Katima Pick-up: 5,000N$

Chris - Namvic Tours

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Hi Chris - just curious why it would be better to have a car sent down to Cape Town from namibia, instead of just hiring a car in Cape Town to drop off in katima mulilo?

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

if you hire a vehicle in Cape town and drop it in katima, the return fees to cape town will be much more, compared to if you rent from Windhoek, the vehicle only has to get back from katima to Windhoek not cape town.

it will also work out much cheaper driving up from CT to fish river and onward than flying into whk then down to fish river, you save flights, feul & days.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

We are paying a R7000 one way fee hiring a car in Cape Town and dropping off in kasane - which appears to be quite a bit cheaper than paying to have a car delivered from windhoek to Cape Town then dropped off in katima mulilo (with the one way fee there).

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Hi LKK01

Which company are you using? I am looking into this now and trying to get quotes. 7000 for both fees sounds cheap.

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Thanks for your suggestions Chris.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

it seems i was misunderstanding your mail. :0

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

Try budget.co.za, ours is booked with an agent not sure yet who they've booked the car with. Last year we used budget in namibia had an xtrail which was great.

10. Re: Hiring a car in South Africa and dropping off in Namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17