We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

We just completed a 29 day trip in a Toyota 4 wheel drive hilux. It took diesel (about 12.7 Namibian per liter). We averaged abt 8.86 km per liter. We did a circuit from Windhoek to windhoek--down to fish river, up to sossusvlei via the namib, up to swakopmund, over to erongo, up to damaraland, up to and across etosha, down to grootfontein, down to Africat, and finally Windhoek. Travelled 4156 km and spent $641 u.s. for fuel.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,298 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Great info on fuel consumption. It seems that diesel engine is a way to go in Namibia. Anybody has calculated consumption / costs for same car with petrol engine?

Edited: 02 December 2013, 21:27
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Great advice - I've estimated we'll do 5000km in jan-feb in diesel hilux and budgeted $750 so I think I'm around the mark based on your info thanks!

Last year we had a Nissan x-trail petrol and did over 4000km and whilst I didn't keep accurate records like frequenttraveler I think we spent in the vicinity $500 on fuel.

I used this website to get an estimation before both our trips www.numbeo.com/gas-prices/country_result.jsp…

Put in the km's to be travelled and an estimation of your fuel economy and you'll get a rough guide as to how much fuel you might consume and the cost in Namibian $. Will give you a ballpark at least.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Really interesting. We just did 4,050 kms in a diesel Nissan 4x4 double cab and spent US$510 on fuel. We never went over 100 km/h, so maybe that makes up for the better fuel efficiency.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

All these compare with my own experiences. I don't do complicated maths so work on 10Km per litre. Two tanks of 80 litres each in a Hi Luxe. Run the first dry in 400km and top up. Repeat as necessary. 800km from base and top off so as to leave dry tanks on return. I think we did 8000km in total last trip. Seemed to work, The low fuel light was firmly on as we rolled back into WDH.

Guages and I never did get on well together.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 19:30
washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Well, we returned car with more fuel than we started with. Ouch. But, better than running out

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Fuel consumption varies a lot depending on the vehicle, diesel vs petrol and road conditions. In deep sand e.g. going through Khaudum can increase consumption to 4 to 5 km/l.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Depends on lots of things including Engine size and driving skills/technique. My global figure was the working average covering terrain from Kgalagadi and the Namib to the lovely smooth tar of Zambezi region.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Mfuwe, if you run the first 80litre tank dry after 400km then the consumtion was 5km per litre?

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

Just a word of caution, never drive a diesel until it run out if fuel. Fill up before it start spattering. We work on an average of 6,5km/l for the nissan patrol pickup diesel (no turbo 4,7litre engin) with fully fitted canopy and rooftop tent.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fuel costs/mileage for trip planning

True enough. I misread my notes and we got c. 800km per tankful.