We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days self driving in Namibia in April

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
7 days self driving in Namibia in April

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could provide some advice. My husband and I are planning on doing a self drive through Namibia for 7 days from the 15th April, and wanted to know what would be the best sites to see. Obviously Ethosha is top priority and also Sossusvlei, is there anywhere else we should check out along the way? And is it best to organise a self drive tour through an agent or is it easy enough to plan it all yourself? I would like to book basic accommodation and guest houses and am not too keen on camping. Thank you in advance!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

A self drive tour to your own itinerary is easy enough to plan. An Agent can organise the Car and the accommodation to your requirements at no extra cost and may even save you a few $$.

What I would suggest is that seven days is not really long enough to include worthwhile visits to both Sossusvlei and Etosha. e.g. WDH to Sossuslvel will take two full days, Up to Etosha, two more and one down to return the car. I would either find more days or visit one or the other.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

If you only have 7 days then maybe consider just going to etosha and 2 nights in damaraland which is gorgeous scenery. As mfuwe says it would be rushed (but technically possible) to do etosha and soss in 7 days due to the distances.

If you are looking for an agent in australia I can highly recommend encompass africa have used them to book 2 self drive trips in namibia and very happy with their service and advice. If you are looking for a local agent there are several on here with a wealth of advice too.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

I would agree with the advice above, rather concentrate on north or south with just 7 days, otherwise you will spend your whole time driving. Etosha and Damaraland is a great combination, maybe adding Waterberg/ Okonjima/ Erongo on your way from or back to Windhoek. Alternatively Sossusvlei combined with the Kalahari Desert (Anib Lodge or Kalahari Farmhouse are fairly well priced), and perhaps Corona Guest Farm or Zebra River Lodge as well.

Charlotte ATI Holidays

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

wow thank you all so much! it's my first time using this forum and i didn't expect so much help. Ok well my husband has his heart set on trying to spot some lions so perhaps we will stick to Etosha as recommended. Is there anywhere particularly nice and close to nature we could stay? Also, would it be worth checking out any of the skeleton coast on the way back down, or would this be too much again for 7 days?

Thank you all once again

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

Skeleton coast is still fairly far west. You could start with one night in Swakopmund and drive up to Damarland for 2 nights then over to Etosha for 2 locations for 2 nights. That would hit all the places you mention.

Dolomite camp (western etosha) is my favorite camp. It is the smallest camp in Etosha. Much fewer visitors than other parts of Etosha. It is NOT fenced and sits on the Escarpment with a beautiful view in all directions. The wild life is great. The service is great. The scenery is fabulous. You could then spend 2 nights in Okaukuejo and make the drive back to WIndhoek from there. All paved road the whole way back.

If you do the Coast first, then Damarland then finish in Etosha, you build up to the best last. It would only involve a single one night stay. The driving would be long, but manageable.

If there is any way to add a night or two, it would really make a difference.

I would emphasize again the importance of getting a local outfitter. It will save you time and money. I normally plan my own trips, but found it to be a big savings to get a local TO to do the planning in Namibia. Plus, they can give you a better understanding of how far the drives will be. They can get access to blocks of rooms you cannot. They are on the ground if something would happen. They have connections you do not. The NWR website is famous for losing individual bookings with multiple confirmations needed.

Use one of the people here on this forum. Chris, Clive, Charlotte or Gemma. We used Gemma and loved her. She was fabulous.

If it were me, I would concentrate on getting to Damarland and Etosha only with such a short trip. Judging by your original post and wants, you do not realize how far the distances are and how long it takes to make the drives. You cannot drive before sunrise or after dark. You don't want to spend your whole trip on the road. It is a beautiful country with amazing scenery, wildlife and people. Don't miss out!

London, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

On our very first trip to Namibia we did pretty much the same as what you are contemplating, we had only one day more and we could comfortably pack Sossusvlei and Etosha, and quite a lot in-between. Here is the trip account to give some ideas: fjexpeditions.com/expeditions/…namibia05.htm

It does involve some long drives, but doable and gives a very good first impression. Be prepared though that you will be compelled to come back year after year for more... :)

Pretoria, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

Hi. Are the dates set or would there be some flexibility to do the tour commencing at the beginning of April?

Pretoria, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

Hi. Perhaps you would like to have a look at this. These photos have been accumulated during various trips to Namibia - see https:/…8

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

HJohnP-

Are you soliciting people to join a tour you are doing? Or do you run tours? You posts seem suspicious. Just trying to get some clarification of your motives.

Pretoria, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days self driving in Namibia in April

Am going to Namibia as indicated. Am not a tour operator. Was hoping to get some people to join us this time round. We have travelled on our own in the past and would like to give others this unique experience as well. A convoy is also safer should technical difficulties be encountered along the way -you will see that we are taking a slightly unconventional route. Those interested would simply need to cover their own costs - nothing difficult about that. I also do not understand how a simple well-meaning invitation ends up being so misconstrued.