We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice

Loughton
Level Contributor
166 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice

Hi all,

We have 3 weeks in Oct/Nov 2014 and want to plan a trip to Namibia. We were hoping to go to Victoria falls and Cape Town, but now think thats a bit ambitious. We were thinking of flying into Cape Town and then driving in Namibia, but i now believe from the posts that its very expensive. Are we better to hire in Namibia after a flight from Cape Town?. Any advice welcome. Also it sounds like November is busier and more expensive than October, so any thoughts on that would be good. We are fairly flexible.

Thank you and happy Xmas!

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice

I don't know that Nov is dearer than Oct. NWR reduce their rates on Nov 1st so its a bit of a bargain. Starting from Windhoek is a good idea as the distances are so big but it depends what you want to see. It is of course getting hotter with chances of thunderstorms. The game viewing in Etosha is still very good as its bone dry. In Damaraland the Ellie's will be seeking water. I like November.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary advice

I do not think it is ambitious if you fly. We did a similar trip in Jan/Feb this year I would fly into Joburg then take either SAA or ComAir (BA) to Vic Falls. There is a direct flight a couple of times a week from Vic Falls to Cape Town or you could return to Joburg and take either Air Namíbia or SAA to Windhoek. From Windhoek there are direçt flights to Cape Town.

Our itinerary in Namíbia was Windhoek to Sosussvlei (2 nights), Sosussvlei to Swakopmund (2 nights), Swakopmund to Twyfelfontein (1 night should have been 2), Twyfelfontein to Etosha (4 nights) and then back to Windhoek (evening flight to Cape Town)

Vic Falls only need 3 or 4 days max. We did 3 days. Flight from Joburg arrives around 1pm and similar departure time to Joburg. If you do this I think you need to overnight in Joburg???

This gives you nearly a week in Cape Town.

I hope this helps, Mark

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Swakopmund
Swakopmund
Erongo Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Loughton
Level Contributor
166 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary advice

Thank you so much for all that, it has really helps. I wlll follow some of your trip i think Mark, seems like the kind of thing we are looking to do.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary advice

Hold it Gillian, Damaraland is not just somewhere to pass through but one of the great destinations in Africa. Give it a couple of days?

Mentioned in this post
South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary advice

If you fly everywhere, you can make it, otherwise too ambitious.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary advice

Hello Gillian,

Like others - not sure why november would be more expensive as it is heading into summer in namibia then. Winter has the dry milder conditions so more favourable for most.

It kind of depends what you want to experience on your holiday and your style of travel as to what is the best option for you.

Last year we were in Cape Town for a week then flew to Windhoek and hired a car and did a 12 day loop back to windhoek (we went to fish river canyon, etosha, damaraland and sossusvlei). This was my first trip to Namibia and it was rushed but we saw a great deal of country which inspired us to start planning our next trip by the time we were on our flight home.

So our next trip is going to be 5 weeks in total (2 weeks in SA first) then driving up from Cape Town up the west coast into Namibia and we are taking 3 weeks to drive up finishing in Kasane. I again think this is a rushed trip and am already thinking about another 3-4 week trip exclusively in Namibia. The distances are vast and there is so much to see. And such a wonderful place. As John says Damaraland is not an overnight stop, truly one of the most stunning places we visited scenery wise. Check out Mowani Mountain Camp, it was our nicest stay in 5 weeks in Africa last year.

Hiring the car in SA and returning somewhere in Namibia will see you paying the cross border fee and the one way hire fee - cross border about N$1200 I think and the one way fee depends on where you drop off/pick up and hire car company. Expect to pay +N$4000 for this. Yes it's a large amount of money but that's the cost and in my opinion worth it if that gives you the best itinerary. We were set on driving the west coast of SA this time and crossing up that way rather than flying into Windhoek so the cost was acceptable to us, you may prefer to do what we did last year and fly to Windhoek and hire your car there and loop back to return it.

In regards to your itinerary I think if you did 5 days in Cape Town then 2 weeks in Namibia (fly to Windhoek and do your self drive loop back to Windhoek) then fly over to Vic Falls for 2 nights (sufficient in my view) then you can achieve what you want to do in 3 weeks BUT you'll need to define your area in Namibia for the 2 weeks (you could achieve etosha, damaraland and sossusvlei dunes). if you prefer to drive from Windhoek to Vic falls then you can spend your 2 weeks in Namibia concentrating on the northern area taking in etosha and caprivi area and maybe either a couple of nights damaraland before etosha or couple of nights chobe at the end. The options are really endless! All the best with your trip planning :)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Mowani Mountain Camp
Mowani Mountain Camp
709 Reviews
Damaraland, Namibia
Loughton
Level Contributor
166 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary advice

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all that information in. I think you have almost done the trip i was thinking of doing!

I will look at Vic falls, but if its going to add a lot of cost to the trip we may have to save it. We will be on a budget, so im thinking fly to cape town,then onto windhoek and hire a car, i think that will be the cheapest route and we can spend the money on interesting places to stay and eating and drinking. Any tips on great places you stayed would be great. Ive already written down Mowani. thanks again

Sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary advice

Hi Gillian, I will second the recommendation of LKK01 ré Mowani Mountain Camp a true gem. You can read my review of this establishment - certainly was a highlight of our trip. One place I would not recommend is Ícon Luxury apartments in Cape Town (again you can read my review of that tôo.) I would recommend Sosussvlei Lodge in Sosussvlei - just outside the gates so really makes no difference getting to te dunes earlier. Namíbia is a lovely country with lovely people I am sure you will have a great time. Please note that in Namíbia you cannot pay for petrol by credit card - must be cash

Regards Mark

Mentioned in this post
Mowani Mountain Camp
Mowani Mountain Camp
709 Reviews
Damaraland, Namibia
Cape Town
Cape Town
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary advice

Staying inside does help a bit - no lining up for entry to the park in the AM which can set you back a bit and you can set off earlier too. Similarly in the evening as you don't need to be out of the park you can actually spend more time down at the dunes than if you're staying outside.

Mowani was wonderful, it is pricey though, but we felt it was worth it. We are leaving on our next trip in just over 3 weeks and in damaraland will stay at grootberg lodge this time, cheaper than mowani and gets good reviews so if price is an issue I would check that out. Here's a link to another thread where I have listed the places we stayed last time tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293820-i9680-k… I also reviewed all of them on tripadvisor too. This time we are also heading up to Caprivi strip and look forward to reviewing the accommodation soon!

If you decide the vic falls add on is not working out this time then that gives you an extra couple of days for Namibia, and a reason to come back next time!

Mentioned in this post
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
791 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary advice

Grootberg is a pretty good distance from mowani. If mowani is too pricey, stay at twyfelfontein lodge. When we were in namibia in november, we travelled with friends who booked too late to stay at kipwe with us. They stayed at twyfelfontein and it was just fine--not real special for the lodge itself--but was right at the rock art site which is incredible! They did the desert elephant tracking with us, hiked around burnt mountain, and enjoyed the pool in mid afternoon. Kipwe, mowani, and twyfelfontein are all within a few kilometers of each other. The following day we all drove to grootberg together (which is a wonderful lodge). My recollection is that the drive to grootberg took about 3 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
791 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia