We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us ..........

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Please help us ..........

Diane and I are going to Namibia in very early November this year, I am trying to work out a really tight itinerary as we are a tad tight on time and would welcome your comments (hopefully positive).

I know that Manchester to Namibia is a long way to go to visit just two regions but my thoughts are:

Fly from Windhoek to Etosha and spend 2 nights in Little Ongava and then 3 nights at Ongava Tented Camp.

Fly to Sossusvlei and spend 4 nights at Wolwedans (not sure which camp, perhaps the Mountain Suite)

Back to Windhoek and back to cold, rainy Manchester.

That should just about exhaust our budget of both time and cash but if you think there is anything majestic we ought to add please tell me.

Finally, not too sure how to book this, I have been to Namibia twice before and glued together my own self-drive which was great but fly-in is a mystery to me.

I really would welcome any help you can give us, I want to get this booked so a dream can become a reality.

Best Regards,

Jon

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help us ..........

Hi Jon contact one of the local agents who regularly post on here e.g ATI, Discover Namibia and others to help with arranging your fly in safari. I think the combination of etosha and sossusvlei is ideal. I think 4 nights at sossusvlei is possibly a bit much unless wolwedans has a great array of activities to add to the time there. With 9 nights you might even consider a 4+3+2 combination to add in an extra destination like damaraland or something else that takes your fancy but everyone is different in what they want out of the holiday. Happy trip planning!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help us ..........

Thanks LKK, that is great, I will contact ATI now! 4-3-2 is a thought, just a bit worried that we spend too much time travelling and packing (although 10kgs won't take much folding!), and not sure how much cost another flight might add. That was my thinking of 2 places in Ongava to give a different feel without the upheaval.

I really appreciate such a quick reply.

J

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help us ..........

LKK thanks for the tip, Gemma from Discover Namibia is helping out now.

I would still welcome any thoughts anyone may have.

J

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help us ..........

If you are going to fly.... why not fly somewhere you can't easily drive to?

EG - Serra Cafema, Skeleton Coast, etc?

Instead of flying over fairly mundane terrain, why not make the flight part of an unforgettable holiday?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help us ..........

Fly-in safari to skeleton coast is on my bucket list! Jondi1 if this falls in your budget then certainly look at it! For now we are settling for driving up to Terrace Bay in a few weeks to stay at the fishermans camp, hopefully we can do fly-in on the next trip, I've also had a look at serra cafema which looks wonderful too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help us ..........

Serra Caffema might work, Skeleton Coast looks to be out of budget. Candidly our price cap of £10k seems to be only just enough and adding in extra stops with the associated flight costs may not be possible. Principal reason for Wolwedans is/are horse riding and star gazing, I wonder if these might be available at Serra Kaffema?

Currently my thoughts are Wolwedans and little Ongava, I know we will miss a load but time and budget are the limitations.

Jon

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help us ..........

Little Ongava is very expensive - wonderful but very expensive - and if you would like to consider making your budget go a bit further than Ongava Tented Camp would be a fantastic option. We have had excellent feedback from guests who have stayed there recently.

Wolwedans would definitely be my top option for star gazing, the NamibRand is a dark sky reserve and the remoteness of the location makes it a unique lodge for viewing the night sky. We haven't had any feedback yet about the horse riding as this is a relatively new venture.

I would really think about adding in Damaraland - Desert Rhino Camp is my favourite in that area but Damaraland Camp, Doro Nawas, Camp Kipwe or Mowani are all really good options as well. I know this would add on another flight but if you consider Ongava Tented instead of Little Ongava then that should be manageable. Serra Cafema is also stunning, but no horse riding in that area and the star gazing would not be quite as 'pristine' as Wolwedans, although very close!

Charlotte ATI Holidays

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help us ..........

Good thoughts and most welcome. I just wish I was richer! I do think I ought to perhaps rethink Little Ongava as it may be limiting other options for us.

I would love us to stay at premier lodges throughout, Wolwedans was a former dream that was never realised, I would like to have even a night at Little Ongava, I've been to the other two Ongavas and loved them, just need to find a way to free up some budget to allow another camp.

Jon

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help us ..........

Hi,

I am sorry to butt in. I have been following your thread and advice from others.

Without hijacking your thread I just wanted to clarify something with Charlotte, who is infinitely more knowledgeable than I am.

I also thought about staying at Wolwedans as it looks stunning but it was way too expensive for 4 of us.

I note that Jon's two priorities are horse riding and star gazing. I read about the Award of "Dark Sky Reserve" given to Namib-Rand but I honestly believe the stargazing would be spectacular from most of the lodges within Namib Naukluft unless you are within close proximity of a light source.

I was encouraged by the fact that Gamsberg pass, only 2 hours from WDH, was selected for a very high-tech telescope.I have also heard some very good comments about watching the night sky from the observatory at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge, which is bang in middle of Sesriem.

So would Desert Homestead and Horse Trails be an alternative for Jon? They have an established riding stable and the location is not bad at all when it comes to light pollution.

But I fully understand it won't have the exclusivity of Wolwedans but just wondering. My ambition also is to capture a perfect star trail !!

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help us ..........

Hi Supra, I have been previously to desert Homestead and rode there and loved it, a big reason why I now own a horse. Been to Kulala and liked it, Wolwedans just looked (and always will) very Diane and me, that probably only makes sense to me

I want to treat the most important person in my life to the best I can deliver. Little Ongava may be a step too far for me but I think Wolwedans stays in. Diane has never been in a true wilderness before so Perhaps Wolwedans and the Ongavas is enough rather than lowering comfort levels by forcing in other stops

Off to buy some lottery tickets so I can take us all away ;-)

Jon

Edited: 06 January 2014, 21:39