We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Auckland, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Hi there,

Last year we took our kids aged 6 and 9 on a 3 week camping trip from Windhoek to Vic falls. This forum has provided invaluable help and reassurance, so I thought it was only fair enough to share back our learnings. I wrote a post about our experience here:

https:/…9c4af545d857

Cheers,

Romain.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Great report. Thanks for sharing. We had some of the same fears before we traveled with our kids to Namibia the first time (ages 9 and 11). As you found out, they were un founded.

Glad you had a good trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Thank you for a great report. what did you actually do for malaria prevention? If kids took meds how did they react to them.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Thanks for sharing your experiences; and the photos are lovely!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Would still like to hear about the malaria medication with kids. did they take malarone or something different and how did they tolerated it

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Both of my daughters (age 9 and 11 on first trip) took malarone without difficulty. Malarone has the lowest side effects. Well tolerated. Talk with your travel doctor and ask what they think.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Thank you Romain, for posting this. Very helpful!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Lovely report (thanks for the bump or I would have missed it)

I think all who read this will relate to most if not all of it. Africa can be very spiritually rewarding and this is why so many folks find them returning time and again.

Thanks for sharing your notes.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Thanks for posting, and good to see football is being used to break down barriers and to share your trip with local kids. I always take footballs to give our on the road.

I'm surprised you couldn't find veggie pizzas on your travels for the kids. They seemed to be ubiquitous.

And lastly, any insight to the earlier questions about protecting your kids from Malaria?. You seem happy to protect against Typhoid, Tetanus and Hepatitis, and yet don't bother (I assume) about defending against one of the biggest killers in Africa.

"People like you and I have done it before. With kids. Without any problems." That's good to know some people didn;t have problems. But many people do. And many more worry about problems, so look for advice from people who have practical experience.

Recently it was suggested (on here) that homoeopathic remedies would be sufficient to combat Malaria. If that were true, I'm surprised Bill Gates is wasting his billions trying to come up with a vaccine.

Auckland, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

Hi all,

Sorry about the lack of reply, I posted this and completely forgot about it! And didn't get any notification of comments... Probably too late now, but just for the record, I never said that we didn't take any malaria protection. The adults took Doxy and the kids had Malarone. Mostly without side effects, although the children were prone to bursting into tears for no apparent reason... Though that might have been general tiredness!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in Namibia with young kids - trip report

It is never too late, Romain. Specially not for those that are planning their first trip to Africa. So thank you for coming back and giving us details about anti-malaria protection. Travels full Year 2015 to you and your family!