We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

capetown to namibia

Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
capetown to namibia

Hi

we were lucky enough to visit south Africa last November,doing the garden route,and fell in love with the country.

We would like to return and see some more of this beautiful country,this time we might try travelling by car from cape town up to Namibia.

Any suggestions for our itinery would be great.

Thanks

Sharon:-)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: capetown to namibia

What time frame are you looking at? how many days in Namibia? The drive is a very long drive and the distances are vast. Are you then driving back down to south Africa or flying out of Namibia? Are you wanting to visit Etosha (the best park in Namibia)? It is in the northern portion of the country. Are you just wanting to visit dunes?

Lots for you to tell us so we can know what to recommend. Animals and wildlife? Dunes? Outdoor activities? Scenery?

Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: capetown to namibia

HI Stephen,

we are looking about 3 weeks in total,start at cape town and finish back at cape town.

We're not really sure what we want to see in Namibia,looking for points of interest,i will look up Etosha,thank you.

We are more for the scenery and animals,but are open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Sharon

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: capetown to namibia

The main attraction in Namibia is certainly Etosha. That is where the largest and most dense concentration of animals will be found. The salt pan and some beautiful scenery as well. Plan on 5-7 days in or around Etosha.

Most will want to see the Sand Dunes so can be viewed down south around Sossusvlei. Plan on 2 nights there after driving up from cape town.

1-2 nights in transit stopping in Swakopmund (maybe an extra night if wanting to do some more of the outdoor activities). We did kayaking with the Seals in Walvis bay, seeing the salt mining, desert quadbiking, and dune surfing. There is a nice desert tour as well. Consider a flying tour (supposed to be nice, but expensive)

Consider 1 night in terrace bay, but maybe not.

2-4 nights in Damarland. Do the desert elephant tracking and twyfelfontein. Mowani Mountain Camp is a great camp. Sundwoners on the top of the mountain is fabulous. Burnt mountain, desert museum, organ pipes. Grootberg lodge has one of the best views in the world. Can do rhino tracking from there on foot as well. Consider 2 camps for 2 nights each.

2 nights Dolomite (my favorite), 2 nights Okaukuejo- both are in the park. 1-2 nights outside eastern gate. We liked Mushara properties.

2 nights Waterburg area (Frans Indongo is nice) and visit Cheetah conservation fund and vultures. Maybe hike.

2-4 nights transit back to Cape town- Windhoek, Keetmanshoop, luderitz.

The single best piece of advice I can give is contact a TO that posts here on the forum. They will save you time, money and headache. Plus, are there if something happens. Most people do not plan enough travel time and don't understand the vast distances at often a slow speed. They help with that as well. We used Gemma Dry of Discover Namibia (tweice) but there are at least 3 good others that post here regularly.

Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: capetown to namibia

Wow,thanks Stephen,

have just been looking at Etosha and think the Dolomite would suit us.

Thanks for all the great info,this gives me plenty to look at.

cheers

Sharon

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: capetown to namibia

Hi Sharon,

Stephen has given you some good advice about the Namibia part already, so I won't comment on that.

One think I would consider, is to either start the tour in Cape Town or Windheok and then drop off the vehicle in the other city. This will give you more time to spend in the respective areas and you don't have to travel the same route twice.

There are some very nice places to stop at along the West Coast and also to visit the Namaqualand before crossing into Namibia or on your way back. I would also consider a stop over at the Orange River at a lodge there for some leisurely canoeing and then you can drive on to the Fish River Canyon. You must keep in mind though, that you have already then used up about 5 - 7 days and that will effect your planning for Namibia.

That's why I would also consider doing a one way drop off to save time. It is more expensive, but when are you going to do this trip again?

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: capetown to namibia

We originally planned to drive from Cape-town up, but in the end we felt it wasn't worth the extra time, and concentrated on Southern Namibia, theres so much to do in Namibia. We'll be there in three weeks time. But I can think of one reason for driving up, and that is if you're going in August/September, during flowering time in Namaqaland. The flowering desert of the Northern Cape is something everyone should experience.

/Neil

7. Re: capetown to namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 04:05
Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: capetown to namibia

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.plenty to keep me busy there😀

Torn between- fly to Cape Town,head up in car and leave in namibia(if poss) fly home from Windhoek

Or fly direct to Windhoek work back down to CapeTown

Or miss CapeTown out completely and just concentrate on Namibia as really like the look of Etosha.

Lots of planning(and googling) to do!!

Thanks again

Sharon

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: capetown to namibia

Hi there we have previously done Cape Town + fly to windhoek and self drive loop flying out of windhoek. Currently in SA driving from Port Elizabeth (garden route) all the way up to caprivi strip. Taking 5 weeks. And still pushing it time wise in my opinion!

I would not do a loop from Cape Town to namibia then back to Cape Town. Too much driving in 3 weeks. I agree with others. Either do a one way car hire from Cape Town or fly into windhoek.

If you want to drive up our itinerary (after Cape Town) is:

Lamberts bay, springbok, fish river canyon, sossusvlei, swakopmund, terrace bay, damaraland, etosha then on to caprivi strip, chobe and vic falls.

Ballygally, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: capetown to namibia

Hi Stephen,

I notice you stayed at Dolomites in Etosha,We were originally going to stay here 3 nights,but we're trying to streamline our trip a touch and are now thinking 2 nights.Would you recommend sticking with the 3 or is 2 nights enough.

Thanks

Sharon