We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

Hi,

Having googled quite a lot it seems there is no updated consensus on which the best car hire firm(s) are if you want a 4x4 with camping equipment and roof tent.

Thankful for input!

Best,

Fredrik

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,675 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

Many people only do such a hire once, and if they had a good experience, would tell people about it.

Few people would be able to compare various car hire companies. I know if had found a good company, I wouldn't go to another company just to see if they were equally good.

It's like the question you often get on beach resort forums....."Please will a honeymoon couple tell me which of the identical resorts on Hula Hula island is the best for honeymoons?"

Well, how many honeymoon couples will have sampled more than one resort?

So, you are relying somewhat on agents who use several companies many times, and can bring buying power and influence over the service and cost of the 4x4.

In Namibia, I don't believe there is enough tourist demand to support inefficient companies or agents. They would be found to be lacking very quickly and will simply go under. So it's probably worth contacting a couple of local agents and get their recommendations. You will probably save money, too.

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

Fair enough - still it would be great to hear from anyone who has recently hired a 4x4 for camping and had a good experience.

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

Try reading some recent trip reports; both here and on the web. Yet relying on the local agent is the best way to go, surely.

4. Re: Which 4x4 car hire firm to use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 07:18