We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

Hi all,

I’ve been reading the posts on Namibia, Damarland and Etosha – thank you for all the time you put in to providing so much information!

My mum is turning 80 and is treating us to 2 days at Sabi Sabi in mid September followed by 9 or 10 days in Cape Town and surrounds to introduce my 10 year old daughter to “her Africa”. Mum grew up in Windhoek / South West and we have around 7 days at the end of the trip to explore this area. (Mum will stay in Cape Town / Hermanus).

We are planning on flying from Cape Town to Walvish Bay (day 1), taking the 4x4 trip to Sandwich Harbour the next day (day 2) and then heading via the Moonscape / Goanikotes to Damaraland (day 3 + day 4) where we’d like to stay for 2 nights at Mowani Mountain camp before heading to Etosha (day 5 + day 6) and then returning. For work reason, I’ll need to return to Australia, while my daughter and her godfather will return to Cape Town for another week or two before accompanying mum back home.

It’s a big trip and very special for all of us. We don’t need luxury, but would pay extra if it meant great landscape / animals.

My questions:

- Should we return to Walvish Bay or Windhoek? (We fly into Johannesburg on Singapore Airlines)

- Given our time constraints + our previous Sabi Sabi stay + time in Damarland, where should we pick for Etosha in the beginning of October? David saw the post for Tandala Ridge (sorry mfuwe! – he’s a zoologist) but I worry that it is not really what we are looking for on this trip.

- We’d like to self drive and are happy to work with an agent (eg Gemma) but would like to have a clearer idea before talking.

Thanks, Hilda

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

So Hilda, What are you and David looking for?

Marine Mammals around Walvis. A short cruise would get you close to Cape Fur Seals and maybe Whales and Dolphins. Megafauna in Etosha and Damaraland although really 4 days is not enough. consider Cheetah Conservation HQ near Otjiwarongo and see how they run.

Take your mum with you. She will surely love it.

I am sure Gemma and others will weigh in with other ideas.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 15:29
Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

For us it's about showing my daughter the animals (not just the "big 5") in their natural habitat. She's seen David Attenborough and spends a lot of time looking for reptiles with David in our national parks or kangaroos, wombats and birds on my parents' property.

For me, it's about seeing the geography of a part of Southern Africa that I haven't had the chance to explore but have heard so much about. Have seen plenty of whales, dolphins and seals in Australia, so that's not our priority. The Cheetah Conservation HQ is a worthwhile cause but again, not really part of our agenda.

As for Mum, she's not so mobile and did a trip with my sister 5 years ago, so prefers to spend the time with family and friends in the Cape.

Agree our time is tight. Have decided that Damaraland is a must but still keen to visit Etosha, even if only briefly.

So... On this forum, Dolomite camp seems to be highly regarded. How long would it take us to get there from Mowani Mountain camp? And how long from Dolomite camp to either Walvis Bay or Windhoek? And which is the better option for a) flight to Cape Town b) flight to Jo'burg?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge

Hilda

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

thanks for the clarity.

Well if in Walvis/Swakpomund and "smaller things" will interest your daughter then I can highly recommend Batis Tours and their day trips to see Lizards, snakes etc., with Steve Braine leading.

From there head into Damarland for the topography and stay at Grootberg. Track Rhino on foot.

Dolomite Camp in Etosha is only three hours drive from there. You really should see more of Etosha but I appreciate the time constraints. From Dolomite back down to Windhoek is a days drive on good tar. To Walvis it would be longer and on dirt roads for part of the way but more scenic..

Can't help on flights. Your plane is pointing the wrong way for me.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

Thanks for all the info!

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

Hi again, we're making progress with our plans,

mfuwe, I see you've provided advice before about travelling from Swakop to Grootberg Lodge. We were planning on visiting the Messum Crater, the unpronounceable lichen and the petrified forest on the way. My daughter would love to see the Kristall Gallerie but if we arrive on Sat pm, we would need to visit at 8am when it opens before heading off.

Is this possible?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

Food for thought there.

Confused as to direction of drive now. If leaving Swakopmund for the north then a visit to Kristall Gallery would depend on your daughter's lingering. I would not leave it too long.

To visit Messum and petrified forest would mean using the C39 and not C35 to Cape Cross. No problem with that route. It is more frequently travelled.

7. Re: Etosha and Namibia in October 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29