We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha late Nov/Dec

Andros
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Etosha late Nov/Dec

Hi - I am trying to plan the last 10 days of my trip and am considering Namibia. Would like to see the dunes, but my focus is wildlife. I was considering at least 4 days Etosha but just read that if rains come early, wildlife disappears. I do not want to drive as I am traveling alone. Can anyone tell me the truth about conditions at that time of year?

BTW - the first part of my trip is: 3 days Kruger, 2 weeks volunteer placement Elephant coast, 1 week diving Sodwana/Aliwal.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,865 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

Disappearing wildlife? What next?

OK, so if it rains the animals dependence of Waterholes lessens but that is all. They are still around. And plenty will still come to the known water out of habit. You won't be faced with empty vistas.

Book your place and come and see for yourself.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

I agree with Mfuwe. My first trip was during March in one of the rainiest seasons Namibia has had in 20 years. We had a great trip and great wildlife. Yes, there is less than during the dry season when they all walk right in ot he water hole, but still amazing wildlife.

Go and enjoy!

Andros
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

Thanks - I know it's not 'optimal' but got concerned a bit. I've contacted. Gemma Dry (recommended by others here) for some assistance.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

Contacting Gemma is the best first step. I have used her twice and loved it. Have a great trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,865 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

I agree. Confuscious said the longest journey started with but a single step. Yours was a good one.

Andros
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

Thanks! I've read many of all your posts over the last 2 weeks and it's obvious that you all have a great passion for this area. So much so, that you all are recommending not missing Damaraland. I am waiting for. Gemma to give me some ideas but am seriously considering dropping a couple of days off my SA itinerary to add this in although really not too sure I can pass up diving on Aliwal Shoal...

7. Re: Etosha late Nov/Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:17