We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear - colour wise?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear - colour wise?

Going through many photos people wear mostly dedicated safari clothes. As I do not intend to buy extra type of clothes for upcoming trip, I will browse through what I have already.

Wear layers, wear quick dry materials, have a hat, use ankle high hiking boots ... all checked. But what colours should I NOT choose? Which colours should I avoid? Is wearing dark blue instead of bright red better when tracking rhino on foot?

And you are all entitled to laugh as long as you will provide some answers and advices :)) !

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

when viewing animals from open game drive vehicles (or when on foot), its best not to wear bright colors. They attract attention from the animals. that's why everyone wears various versions of beige.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,784 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

Avoid bright colours. whilst most animals see in Monochrome, they will pick up on bright primary colours like White and Red.Yellow.

No need to creep around in Camouflage or Safari beige and certainly no need to splash the cash on Bush jackets and Pith Helmet etc., Just wear muted tones in whatever style you are comfortable in.

Blue end of spectrum is bad where there are flies, such as the East African Tsetse but OK in Namibia.

Something to consider is heat. Like colours reflect heat and keep you cool, dark will get very hot.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

Also recommend avoiding white as tends to be very dusty. mainly use what's comfortable, layers and not too bright.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

Thank you all for replies!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,784 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

It occurred to me to also mention to try and avoid a White Car. I cannot prove it but I get closer to wildlife in darker colour cars. White is definitely a warning colour and very visible to animals.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

-:))))

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

But surely the vehicle doesn't stay white; -)

8. Re: What to wear - colour wise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18