We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping??

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Tipping??

As I travel alone, I will welcome all the help I can get from the staff to put up my tent light a fire, keep an eye on my car when I shop ect. - all the little things things I'm used to do by my self everyday -but hey I´m on vacation!

How much should I tip the people for there help without offending them - but also so it does not become too much in terms of future guests.

Thanks

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping??

I was never really sure. I generally tipped people $1 u.s. guides, of course, much more, depending upon how long the guided trip was. I will say that a lot of people (like the guys at parking lots who watch your car for you) would rather get your leftovers from dinner than a monetary tip.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping??

Not sure where staff will help you put your tent up or light your fire! I've never seen camp ground staff doing these things. You would be expected to do that yourself. There are lots of people making a living as car guards in the main urban centres and they appreciate a few Namibian dollars to do so.

If you eat at restaurants perhaps a 10% tip for good service.

Petrol station attendants also compete for tips to fill up your vehicle and wash your windscreen and windows. A few Nambian dollars for them is also ok.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping??

Thanks a lot for your reply. Gives me an idea of ​​the level of tips.

By the way - I do not expect to get help, can easily take care of myself - put up tent, light fires, braii and change tires, but have often experienced that people offer their help - so just to be prepared :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping??

We tipped 10% in restaurants in Namibia, N$2-3 for a car park attendant, and N$2-5 for petrol station attendants. Guides we would 'generally' tip N$50-100 for the 2 of us. I say generally because it depends on the type of activity, the length, how good it was etc etc

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping??

@LKK01

Thanks a lot !

6. Re: Tipping??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25