We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary

Tucson
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Itinerary

We are going to Namibia in June and have a rough itinerary (18 days after leaving from Windhoek). We have 21 days in total, so 3 more to "play with". It would be great to get some comments on the itinerary below. Does it make sense? This is our first time in Namibia and we did not have a lot of time for our research (just booked the flights). Any advice/comments are welcome.

Day 1 Arrive in Windhoek

Day 2 and 3: Sossusvlei

Day 4 and 5: Swakopmund

Day 6: Damaraland

Day 7: Etosha National Park

Day 8 and 9: Etosha National Park

Day 10 and 11: Kavango River, Rundu, West Caprivi

Day 12, 13 and 14: Chobe National Park

Day 15 Makgadikgadi Pans National Park

Day 16 and 17: Okavango Delta

Day 18: Kalahari (Ghanzi)

Day 19: Departure from Windhoek

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Hi there

I'm not a travel guide, but I am a Namibian and it looks like you are going to do A LOT of driving. Are you going to rent a car and drive yourself? It looks like you will be seeing the most beautiful places in Namibia which is very cool and I love it that you will have a few days to relax in the north of the country which is my personal favourite. I do however recommend that you don't set anything in stone and remove your watches as soon as you get here. You should accept that we live on African time where nothing is so important that it can't wait for a while. Don't rush through the counrty, otherwise you miss the real beauty.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Way too much driving and trying to cover too much in too little time. 9 days for the south, the coast, damarland and Etosha is too short. Plus, I think you may not appreciate the travel distance for the regions. Plan on averaging about 40-50km per hour plus stops when on the back roads (most of your trip). Distances are further and travel times slower than you think. This is too rushed in my book.

I would re-think this. Drop the south of Namibia and start at the coast and work from there. Add a day in Damarland, day in Etosha, day travel to Caprivi.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary

I would agree with Stephen above that this is too much driving. Damaraland for example needs at least 2 nights to see the last few days will be brutal. I am not saying it is not possible but will it be fun?

I would slow down and cover less distance personally.

Chris Liebenberg - owner - Piper & Heath Travel

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Hello, I can only reiterate the other comments of not enough time + too many kilometres. Most of your distances to travel are long drives, and in the south will invariably be on gravel roads. In particular 1 day in damaraland and 1 day in makgadigkadi pans is absolutely not enough. Driving from Rundu to Chobe in a day is unachievable - this is over 600km + a border crossing. We drove from near Kongola (western caprivi) to Chobe in late Feb and this is 350km less than driving from Rundu and this was enough. Driving from Rundu with the border crossing is going to take 8 hours without stopping. And why drive through this beautiful part of the country without stopping? You will be missing a lot. The drive down to makgadikgadi from chobe is also unrealistic in a day and also just to spend one night - don't bother.

Personally I would abandon the Bostwana aspect and focus on Namibia only for 21 days, or alter your route (drop southern namibia totally) if you want to incorporate Botswana.

We spent 2 weeks in Namibia 2 years ago and have just been back for a 3 week trip, you won't be disappointed by focusing your 21 days in this magnificent country. Botswana is also amazing and worthy of a visit but unless you alter your proposed route I think you will be compromising on both. Alternatively make it such that you fly into Windhoek and out of another airport (e.g. Kasane, Livingstone) that way you don't have to backtrack to Windhoek.

Tucson
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Thank you very much for the information. It helps me a lot.

6. Re: Advice on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16