We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

Hi. I am planning to drive from Swakopmund to Camp Kipwe in one day and thinking to stop at Spitzkoppe for a photo then proceed via Uis towards Twyfelfontein area. The question is: Is it doable in one day in a summer time. I am planning to leave Swakopmund very early - with first light.

Your response very much appreciated.

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

We drove from Swakop to Huab (a bit further up) in one day last month, if i remember correctly it was just over 400km, we arrived about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. It took most of the day, but we didn't think it was a problem. Just take it easy and enjoy the drive.

/Neil

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

I agree. An early start will get you there in mid afternoon even allowing for scenic and comfort stops.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

Thank you very much guys for the assurance. My agent also said it should be plenty of time to drive it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

It will actually be fairly easy. We did that trip and didn't leave until after breakfast. We arrived mid afternoon and did a 2 hour tour that afternoon from Mowani mountain camp. We also stopped in Uis for a sit down lunch and fuel. It is only a half day's drive.

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

Good to hear, Stephen-that will be one leg of our journey -we are 4 weeks from departure and getting very excited !

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

we left Swak. after breakfast and was at Camp Kipwe for lunch . It was very leisurely, stopping at a shipwreck before Henties Bay, had a coffe at Uis and visited some roadside souvenier stalls run by Herero people just after Uis, arriving at Twyfelfontein Lodge early afternoon. A very easy journey.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

We drove from Doro Nawas (right next to Twyfelfontein) to Swakopmund, via Uis (with a stop at the restaurant in Uis), leaving about 8:45am and arriving mid-afternoon. The Hentiesbaai/Uis road is a bit boring, but the drive itself is fine. You'll have no problem doing it in a day.

Nigel

Trip write-up: www.utting.org/wordpress

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

A related question. My wife and I are sand boarding in the morning outside of Swakopmund and then driving to Mowani Mountain Camp. We understand that sand boarding ends at noon. Will we be able to get to Mowani by 17.00 (before sundown)?

9. Re: Swak to Twyfelfontein in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:15