We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What a lucky guy I am ...

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
What a lucky guy I am ...

... is what I hear a lot from my wife in last xy years spent together (in a different context). Today I realized she might be right.

Lucky strike #1: it is about 2 hrs 15 min between our house and Marco Polo airport in Venice. Made that part of the highway many times, so feeling confident about driving times we started from the house at 11:30 am for departure flight 15:50. Being already checked-in on line we should be at the Fast Bag Drop counter 60 min earlier; a smooth sailing was in my planes. Yet not more than 2 minutes after we waved goodbye to daughter and neighbours, a horror started. By overpassing the nearby highway I’ve noticed a bumper to bumper slow going traffic in our intended direction. Frantically switched radio on just to hear that not only one but two accidents has happened further up the highway in the direction to seaside … and Italy. Faster than the lady from Garmin is able to say “recalculating” my brains have already envisioned a safe escape route; over the hills local road is connection small villages along the general direction of the highway. Very windy but hopefully empty. I’ve put myself into the Colin McRae mode and off we go. Lancia did a great job keeping everybody on the road, and after 1 hr 30 min we reached Italian border (it is 45 min when the highway is not congested). My DW, otherwise quite a picky co-driver, didn’t uttered a word until we were on the safe side, and even then her only words were: “I was so close to throw up”. Well, my darling, you could, yet I would not stopped for this.

Lucky strike #2: the flight from Doha to Johannesburg continued toward Maputo. We disembarked, walked the long corridors to the immigration point, and my DW even has time to go to the toilet. She was fast, and upon returning, she looked at me and asked: “Where is your vest?” I turn on my heels, engage into Usain Bolt mode for the first 50 meters, then switched into Sebastin Coe mode ending my run back to the disembarking gate in true Emil Zatopek fashion (google for details). There was a ground officer at the doors, who immediately understood the seriousness of the situation, and went to the plane. A few moments later the flight crew exited and they were both concerned about my health (to be honest, my lunges did produced some nasty noises) and happy to tell me that the vest was found intact. Phew! Got my vest, my spectacles (not important), my phone (mildly important) and my valet (very important) back. I did not run back to the immigration line (how could I?!).

So our flight from home to Windhoek was pretty much uneventful; here are some short notices:

Qatar Airways has excellent on board entertainment system; large LCD screens and large selection of movies;

there is no ATM machine on departure floor of Terminal A at JNB;

the WDH immigration time was average at 45 minutes;

to withdraw the cash from ATM using VISA debit card you need to go to “savings”.

Staying our first night at Villa Violet; very friendly and client oriented owners, nice and well equipped room, very quiet surroundings. Eat first game meat at, yes, you guessed it, At Joe’s Beerhouse. Local draft lager at 15,60 N$: great taste, very cold, and cheap. Our first Africa encounter started excellent.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What a lucky guy I am ...

What a start !! You are one fit guy. It can only get better and more eventful !!

Edited: 02 May 2014, 20:56
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,813 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What a lucky guy I am ...

Well the Zatopek (yes I am old enough to have seen him run and get his Autograph, not at the same time of course) training might come in handy later on. Remind me! Are you going Rhino trekking?

Garmin won't find the nearest tree. You have to that for yourself!

Good to see you made it and thanks for thinking of us. Have another Beer!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What a lucky guy I am ...

Yeah but how's the coffee???? lol

Great bits of information -- keep them coming as I follow in your footsteps. ;-)

Is Joe's within walking distance or did you drive?

Will I be able to withdraw cash at WDH atm with a Visa credit card??

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What a lucky guy I am ...

@ supratik: At least this one time my fitness hours paid off. Although my lungs still feel it, a day later.

@ mfuwe: I knew you will not need to google to search for mr. chech locomotive; I surely have sounded like one at the end of my run.

@ kather: there is one ATM machine at departure area; and in diagonal there is MTC stand. Joe's is within 15 min.

We could easily walked yet kind owners offered a ride there, and we took taxi back (60 N$). Coffee is filter type,

Available all day, taste good, will ask which brand they use.

On arrival day there were some high clouds, nice and white. We passed a group of baboons on the way from the airport (no photo stop).

Today started sunny. Keep following us!

5. Re: What a lucky guy I am ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16