We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Namibia

Mannheim
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Security in Namibia

We , 3 persons, want to travel to Namibia next year. But now I am very worried about the safety in Namibia. I read some reports about robbery and assassination on the roads. So I am not quite sure , if I want to travel to Namibia. In this case perhaps it will be safer to travel with a guide or in a groupe .Are there certain regions in which occur frequently attacks or raids on tourists especially on Germans? How do you estimate the situation ?

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security in Namibia

Where did you hear this? Namibia is one of the friendliest and safest countries in Africa!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security in Namibia

My question is the same - when and where did these things happen? . Namibia is very safe.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security in Namibia

What a load of rubbish. My husband and I have just returned from month travelling by ourselves in Namibia, dip into Botswana and Zimbabwe. Felt very safe in all countries and the people so friendly, especially children at roadside waving to us. We used Discover Namibia who were absolutely brilliant and organised car hire and accommodation. GO u will love it.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security in Namibia

If you are looking for dangers specifically linked to German speaking tourist then you may wish to visit and ask the question here with lots of German contributors.

Like others I'd also love to hear about your sources.

I have been a regular visitor to this German forum and in last one year came across only one report when a German tourist had his camera snatched from his car while being involved in the process of going through the rental agreements.

But that can happen to any one and that is a petty crime which is not unheard of and easily avoidable.

www.namibia-forum.ch/forum/6-namibia.html

Edited: 15 June 2014, 18:32
Mannheim
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security in Namibia

Thank you very much for your answers.

This was what I expected. Because some people ask for the origin of this fears:

namibiana.de/namibia-information/pressemeldu…

namibiana.de/namibia-information/pressemeldu…

www.wuestenschiff.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php…

Sorry it is only in German.

Lili

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
826 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security in Namibia

We have just returned, no problems self driving but need to be sensible as there are some very deprived areas. We went into towns on the Caprivi to shop, not a white face in sight, no problems but as a precaution one of us stayed with the vehicle. Most towns felt safe and we were happy to shop and leave the vehicle.

We didn't go into large towns and wouldn't recommend night travel, it may well invalidate your vehicle insurance as they have a GPS tracker.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security in Namibia

Check, but I am sure you cannot drive after dark with hired car - we were given a number to ring by our hire company if an emergency arose and we had to drive in dark but thankfully not necessary. With regard to safety we shopped in several 'towns' (Caprivi strip included) but never felt threatened or concerned.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security in Namibia

The report I read only mentioned robbery of Valuables. Was there a killing, too? (Maybe I didn't translate it correctly).

Very sad, but robberies happen in any country and far less in Namibia than most places.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security in Namibia

I agree with Peter. Two of the robberies were against tourists, one set Swiss and the others Italian. The other was against a resident farmer. Nothing really that can and does occur in other countries. The only major crime I have heard about was the murder of two German tourists from their Hire Car at gun point but this was maybe ten years ago.

I have always felt perfectly safe in Namibia and have travelled most of the country on my visits. I even give lifts when travelling long distance such as in the far north and along Kaprivi. The only 'robbery' I suffered was the Rangers at Mata Mata when they nicked my Braai fuel and then the South Africans nicked the replacement as I exited RSA.

Obviously don't leave your 'street smarts' at home. Bring them on holiday with you. Exercise common sense and relax your body but not your brain. .

Edited: 17 June 2014, 19:34
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security in Namibia

Mfuwe - we did mention to someone on our travels that we felt a bit guilty passing locals looking for lifts when we had a large empty vehicle. Also the Bradt guidebook mentions that you should consider giving lifts - but the aforementioned people told us that they did not think our insurance would allow it and that if heaven forbid we had an accident and the passenger was killed then we would have to support their family - not sure if latter is correct or not, but the insurance bit sounds as if it could be right.