We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World cup football?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
World cup football?

My apologies in advance for this silly question and I generally do not go looking for TV while on holiday, specially in the middle of the wilderness.

But this is world cup !

I was wondering whether anyone knows if there is a TV at Sossus Dune Lodge lounge where I can watch the semifinals ? If they don't have one then I may venture beyond the gates. Sossusvlei desert lodge seems like a very big establishment. I guess they have a TV.

Unfortunately the matches start at night so I am a bit worried about driving from SDL to the gate and not sure if it is possible to scale the gates or sneak out/in through any pedestrian's side gate ? The last thing I want is a hefty fine.

I'll accept any critical comment on my stupidity and usually I'm more level headed.

Cheers

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World cup football?

Understand completely, but I'm afraid I can't remember. I think I saw a TV there, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a group watching somehow. But I'm afraid our team won't have anything to do with the semifinals.

/Neil

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World cup football?

Thanks Neil. I'm hoping to find some football mad guys like me. I have already identified Kuki's Pub at Swakop as a recommended place to watch teh final. One thing for sure, Spitzkoppe rest camp certainly doesn't have any TV so I'll be busy looking at the milky ways.

By the way did you stay at Spitzkoppe ?

Kungalv, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World cup football?

Having watched the World Cup in all sorts of weird places, I sympathise a lot. Latvia was funniest, we finally found a bar in Daugapils showing the final, after watching the semis in Tallin we expected it to be packed, but we were more or less on our own except for a few drunk Russians. Latvia is ice-hockey country, they don't give a toss about football. I don't think you'll have that problem in Namibia.

No we didn't stay at Spitzkoppe, we were at Huab lodge.

/Neil

PS. Holding thumbs for Thursday.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World cup football?

Thanks Neil. Similar experience when travelling through mid-west USA in 1990. Americans were surprised to hear from me that there was a world cup going on for "Suckker", I mean "soccer".

Thankfully bigger towns had some Irish bars showing the football, but small towns: no chance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World cup football?

Viva Chile!

Get yourself on the best continent (for football).... :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World cup football?

Anybody know a place I can go on Safari where I DON'T have to look at this?

Just a tent, a Directors chair and a cool box with Wildlife to watch not TV?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World cup football?

Yes peterscott, I am clearly in wrong continent.

@ mfuwe: obviously our interests differ. I have great respect for wildlife and I'm sure there are plenty of places without TV and only wildlife. I can only tell that watching your team in world cup semifinal ( even if it is on tv and not inside the stadium) in good company is also a very satisfying experince.

I hope my sacrifice will be rewarded with the most awesome sunrise over Big Daddy.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World cup football?

Supratik, Well my comment was very much T in C as you probably guessed. Just trying for some balance for the 'differing interests' unlike the darn TV schedulers.

Have a good one!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World cup football?

I suspect Luis Suarez destroyed your chance of seeing England in the semi's in the desert :-(

The sunrise will still be awesome though!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World cup football?

Et tu Gemma ?

Well, well, well........

End of story then !! Now everybody go on and have a dig at me !!

My friend mfuwe: I could see your tongue firmly placed in your cheeks and my dear wife shares your views.

Actually I never said anything about supporting England. I am one twenty-eighth Dutch and Holland is my team now !!