We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August or September to visit Namibia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
August or September to visit Namibia.

We are in the planning a 3/4 week trip to Namibia and Botswana in September 2015. Game viewing is supposed to be good at that time of year. We have been to Sth Africa for game viewing in the last 2 years in September, however, we experienced a cold spell both trips, early and late in the month. We hope not to have that experience again but of course, world weather is undpredictable these days.

I have checked the local weather temperature and rainfall pattern and note August has no rain and cooler day time temperatures than September. What is the better choice for no rain and cold snaps. Also what is the busier month for European tourists visiting Namibia. Any local advice is appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August or September to visit Namibia.

If the aim of your trip is wildlife then September better as they head to the waterholes the drier it gets. Also somewhat fewer people as European holdays July August. Getting hotter of course but should be quite nice. Little chance of rain in either month.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August or September to visit Namibia.

Thanks John

September it is. Although I do note local school holidays start end of August to September 8th, however I have been told by a local travel agent, this is not a problem with bookings.

Namibia
Level Contributor
553 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August or September to visit Namibia.

September is a good time to travel as it it's not as busy as August, but it is still busy. If you however plan and book all before year end, you should be fine, but remember that the earlier you book, the better chances you get the accommodation you wanted.

If you see more wildlife in September than August, I don't know, but both months are good for both Namibia and Botswana.

Price wise it won't make a big difference as both months fall in high season. But for Botswana you must check as some lodges have different prices for different months and it can have make a big difference in what you pay in the end.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

4. Re: August or September to visit Namibia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17