We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

We are planning a trip for next year this is hopefully our itinerary any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hire 4WD double cab car

Windhoek

Olive grove (1 night)

Namid -Nakluft

Corona Guest farm (2 nights)

hiking

Sossus Dunes Lodge (2 nights)

Wolwedens Dune lodge (2 nights)

Swakomund

Cornerstone (3 nights )

Damaralad

Camp Kipwe (1 night) BD

Etendeka (3 nights)

Etosha

Okaukejo (2 nights) waterhole chalet

Onguma tented camp (2 nights)

Central highlands

Okonjima view room (2 nights) BD

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,115 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

It looks good enough. Nice lodges. I would just add two lodges in the mix; in Damaraland Grootberg Lodge and in Etosha Dolomite Camp

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

Thank you xelas. Do you mean instead of the lodges chosen?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,115 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

Yes, instead. I mean your picks are also good ones, and as I have not been there myself I cannot compare. Yet Grootberg Lodge truly is in remarkable location, and offers a wide range of activities. Price wise is a bit cheaper than your first choices.

In Etosha I am positive that staying inside the park will increase your viewing time. As August is the high season I suspect that waterholes and roads around Okakuejo will be very crowded with cars; as Dolomite Camp max. 18 cabins results in max 18 vehicles on roads, this place will be much much less crowded. And after driving a couple of roads around Okakuejo I would not stayed there but would go to Halali. There is very nice waterhole also at Halali, and roads connecting the waterholes were in much better shape. Just my very limited 2 cents.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

As mentioned above, I would also include Dolomite Camp and Grootberg Lodge as they are great. You can also do one night Grootberg and 2 nights Etendeka as this is also a lovely lodge. Dolomite would also be much easier to drive to from both lodges as going directly to Okaukuejo. The Galton gate however is open to the public now and you can drive from there directly to Okaukuejo, but it is a long drive and maybe better to stay over at Dolomite.

If you like hiking, you should maybe also have a look at the Tok Tokkie Trail, which is really nice and a very different experience. You sleep outside under the stars, but it's a truly unique experience.

I would also swop around Wolwedans Lodge and Sossus Dune Lodge as route wise it makes more sense as you can first go to Wolwedans and then drive to the Sossus Dune Lodge and on to Swakopmund.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

Thank you for your thoughts. We have been grappling with Etendeka versus Grootberg . Really difficult call. We love views and I gather Grootberg's view is amazing. But we are told the Etendeka experience is brilliant. I am not keen on being always on the road and I like 3 day stops to breath places in so i feel it has to be one or the other - unless we go to Grootberg for a night instead of Camp Kipwe. Would that work?

I see what yo mean about changing Wolwedens and Sossus and this would mean we would be at Wolwedens for out wedding anniversary which would be lovely.

We have been told that Okaukuejo is great for the waterhole but i dont like the sound of it being so busy. Doilomite sounds like a good idea. Thanks Clive

Edited: 30 June 2014, 20:16
Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

I would not take out Camp Kipwe as this a great lodge and it would be a real pity to leave it out. If you feel you want to stay at Etendeka for 3 nights, do it! Sadly one can't do all and has to sometimes give and take a little.

Yes, Okaukuejo is quite busy, but the waterhole there is magnificent and I would not give it a miss.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

Thanks again.

Would it be a mistake to go to Dolomite and Okaukuejo and leave out Onguma?

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

Difficult to say as Onguma is also very nice, but you must look at the whole picture and what would be better for your route etc.

If Dolomite and Okaukuejo fit your route better, leave Onguma out.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

i think its okay to skip onguma. we stayed at treetops, and it was nice, but very confining because its a small group of tented cabins linked by a wooden walkway and you cant leave the walkway. the view is of trees and a water hole, but not that many animals go to the waterhole and you don't get the variety you get in the park (like no elephants, no rhinos, no big cats). dolomite is absolutely lovely and it was great having a panoramic view, and animals near our balcony browsing in the treetops (felt like I was nose to nose with the giraffes!).

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Namibia for August 2015

OK Dolomite and Okaukeujo it is! Thank you for all the advice.