We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Hello great people out there..

Amar patel

From India.

Me n my gal planning to Road-Trip for Namibia around

12-14 days for photography and explore this destination.

i do agree that i'm running to fast but i cannot make more days

and cannot ever able to be back so i try to explore max things.

i'm not wild life photographer but i do love to be with nature and

its own play so there is so many things to capture. and road-trips.

Travel time : JULY - AUG 2014

Here is my schedule. According to my research :

Day 1 - Windhoek Fly IN

Day 2 - Windhoek - Keetmanshoop

Day 3 - Keetmanshoop - Fish River

Day 4 - Fish river to Duwisib castle

Day 5 - Duwisib castle to Sossusvlei

Day 6 - Sossusvlie

Day 7 - Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

Day 8 - Swakopmund

Day 9 - Swakopmund - damaraland

Day 10 - Damarland - Etosha

Day 11 - Etosha

Day 12 - Etosha - Windhoek

Day 13 - Windhoek Fly OUT

I've few clear question :

> Am i going in Right direction ? routes ? etc ?

> what if i wants to reach Windhoek back at Day 12 or keep one

spare days to breath if some breakdown happens in SUV. ?

> Also someone suggest stays in meanwhile location ?

( i'm driving with self carting ven but still i would love to have good place for few nights for hangouts )

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

The route looks good, but I would not stay at Keetmanshoop, but rather near Mariental in the Kalahari area. Distance wise you can easily manage it form there to Fish River Canyon.

The one thing you should do is to book your accommodation ASAP. August is very busy and you will struggle to find accommodation in the areas you want to visit. So the first thing I would sort out is your flights and have set dates and the you need to start booking! I do really hope you have already booked a fully equipped 4x4 as otherwise you will struggle to find one for August.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

hello friend.

Glad to see ur words :)

Yeah i did considered ur words to stop at Mariental.

Also suggest me what if i wants to cut one day ? which place i can skip ?

And yeah i do aware of booking issues due to Pink session but i will

take care of it. i'm in loop with them. just in final stage to decide.

Also guide me good places to stay if u have any ideas ? on this my routes destination !

Once again Thank you for ur kind support.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

If you want to drive the route you have now, there is no place where you can leave out a day as otherwise the distances will be too great!

The only option I see that you maybe leave out the Fish River Canyon and spend more time in the Damaraland Area as I personally also feel that one night is a bit short for the area. You will then also cut down on a lot of driving as the Fish River Canyon is quite a distance to drive.

You could then maybe also leave out Duwiseb and go straight to the Sossusvlei area. This would then give you another extra day to spend lets say in the Etosha National Park or maybe somewhere in between Etosha and WIndhoek. Waterberg National Park would also be a good stop over and you would get to see something different.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Thanks again for ur respond.,

I was just worried hope i will not missed

Anything amazing if i skip Fisha River area as being photography lover :) as m less interested in capturing wildlife but more other things but i look out at it in depth as consider it valuable :)

Thank you very much once again..

What more thing i should consider in serious manner while driving n camping or etc ?

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Thanks again for ur respond.,

I was just worried hope i will not missed

Anything amazing if i skip Fisha River area as being photography lover :) as m less interested in capturing wildlife but more other things but i look out at it in depth as consider it valuable :)

Thank you very much once again..

What more thing i should consider in serious manner while driving n camping or etc ?

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Of course the Fish River Canyon is great to see and wonderful for photographers. You mustn't forget that it's the "second" largest Canyon in the world.

The leave out Duwiseb and make your way directly to Sossusvlei. It's a far drive, but it is possible and then you have the extra night you are looking for.

Depending on where you rent the vehicle, the vehicle should have all camping gear and you won't need to bring anything.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

Ohk :)

Then my thoughts are clear..

whatever i've to do is to Drive directly to Sossusvlei and try to keep Duwiseb.

this will be bit long i can see but will give it to best. and yeah while camping

i must need required things. that's true !

there is many of company's i can see on net..

Do u suggest anyone ?

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

If you have not yet booked a vehicle for August you will be very lucky if you will still get a vehicle! We get requests everyday, but there are just not camping vehicles left! Your best bet is to write to as many as you can with your confirmed dates and maybe you will get lucky!

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Surat, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

haha !! yeah m sure things will be same with me :)

i'm Just stuck in Visa worst process which sucks all times !

so the reason not able to reach final dates. also i told my local friends today to visit

local rental offices in-person n get updates. then according to that i'll book my flights.

Thanks for wake up again.

i'll do something.

Thank you for ur all great supports.

Randburg, South...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip Namibia July-Aug 2014 #Help for Route plans

I agree with NamXpert. The trip from Fish River Canyon is far, but doable. We have just returned from our trip which included Fish river and Sossusvlei. For Photography of the area, Fish River is beautiful. If you want to leave Duwisib out and maybe stay a night in the Tiras-mountains, then you could visit Duwisib early and head onto Sossusvlei. That is a stunning area and would be great for photography. If you get to Sossusvlei make sure you go early in the morning, as early as possible!

Don't underestimate the time you need to travel from one place to next. As others have suggested to us for our trip, rather spend more time in one place and therfore do shorter trips than the whole day getting from one place to next.

By the way the road scrapers worked on the Solitaire to Walvisbay route towards wnd o JUNE. The road was perfectly smooth and quiet!