We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

N
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Just returned from a 3,5 week selfdrive round trip in Namibia, Zambia and Botswana. We rented a 4x4 pick-up with rooftop tent and camping equipment from Advanced Car Hire in Windhoek, after selecting a few reputable companies according to TripAdvisor and Thorntree reviews.

Pleasant and swift email contact with Carla from Advanced to organize things. Pick-up from the airport free of charge, proper check-up and instructions on the car, tent and equipment and on our way in no-time in a couple months old Hi-Lux with 3 spare wheels/tires, fridge, maps of Namibia and an owners letter for permission to take the car out of the country, provider free of charge.

We drove over 6600 km's, a considerable part offroad, without any problems. Turning in the car was hassle-free, as was the ensuing free of charge return to the airport. Best of all: most competitive price we could find in Windhoek for this package and setup.

Highly recommended!

31 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,941 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Great review which comply to our own experiences with same company. Any chance to post a trip report or a link to one if posted elsewhere? Or at least an itinerary with camping site? Thanks in advance!

Windhoek, Windhoek...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Good day,

The Advanced Car Hire Team would like to thank you for this positive feedback. It's always great to hear that we helped to make your trip in our amazing country an unforgettable experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you need any further information in the future.

We wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.

Kind regards

Carla

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,941 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Carla, thank you for your kind wishes. And same to your team. See you soon (this April). Alex

Bujumbura
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Best wiches to you too Carla !

Can't wait to arrive in February....

Quentin

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Planned a trip around Namibia for my parents and myself from New Zealand - Carla made the transport side of things so easy. Prompt responses to all my emails and endless questions. What a please to deal with her and her team, very professional and extremely friendly. We were shown in detail all the workings of the 4x4 we had hired, how to put up the roof top tents, how to change a tire etc. The team went so far as to drop us off and collect up from a local restaurant once we had returned our vehicle and still collect us from our lodge and take us to the air port at 5am for our 7am flight! A big thank you to everyone at

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Did you have a permission from Advanced to drive offroad? Their rental conditions do no allow to drive offroad (very strange). Also the gravel road speed limit is only 70 km/h (80 km/h with other rental companies). These conditions keep me away from Advanced so far.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

I can't think of any rental firm that allows off road driving??

Advanced do have a limit of 70 kph on gravel sections. They also from what I have observed have a far lower proportion of cars ending up on their roofs. It encourages sensible driving which is for your benefit.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

OP wrote: "We drove over 6600 km's, a considerable part offroad, without any problems." Therefore I asked if they had a permission from Advanced to drive offroad. I consulted our itinerary with Wayne from Advanced and even the 50 km dirt track from Kunene River Lodge to Ruacana (we have seen saloon car there) is considered as "offroad" and were suggested to take detour through Opuwo.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

I think you wlll probably find the OP means gravel/salt road when they say offroad.

Offroad driving is driving into the bush, driving in dry river beds, driving over the dunes. I maintain you will struggle to find any rental firm to allow you to drive offroad.

Wayne left Advanced Car Hire over a year ago. At that time the section of road you are referring to between Kunene River Lodge and Ruacana at certain times of the years was absolutely appalling. Even Kunene River Lodge advised guests NOT to drive this route and to go via Opuwo. It has since been fixed up quite a bit.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek

Gemma, I do not want to drive offroad in your narrow sense of the word. I just want not to be in troubles with rental company if there is any problem with the car in , for example, Ongongo Campsite or Ngepi Camp. Both approaching roads would be probably considered as "offroad" by Advanced.

Reply to: Advanced 4x4 Car Hire, Windhoek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted