We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Hi!

We leave in about a month for a two-week self-drive through Namibia. VERY excited. In part of the trip we drive from Swakopmund to Sesriem (Sossus Desert Camp). Google says that the drive is just shy of six hours (C14 to C19).

Do you recommend just doing the drive straight up, or are there scenic alternatives we might consider along the way? I'm thinking adding Welwitschia drive would be too much, for example.

-Karl

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Hi Karl,

I recently did the exact route in reverse and both me and my wife agreed that it was one of the most boring drives in our 4000 km of driving in Namibia. The beginning from Desert camp was not too bad and the kids insisted a repeat stop at the Solitaire for the Apple pie which I heartily agreed to.

But the later stretch , especially after the Goab pass/Kuiseb canyon to Walvis bay was just flat terrain with one or two springboks dotted in the countryside. I had to keep on pinching myself to prevent from falling asleep.

Oh Boy , was I glad to see the tar road near Walvis bay !!

Looked everywhere for the famed Mountain Zebra in the suitably named "Zebra pan" with no success. The road in several sections ( up to 20 km) is quite bendy so you have to be alert all the time.

It took us about 6.5 hours with short breaks in between. Even a photo enthusiast like me struggled to find stops for using my camera.

There is a campsite called Vogel ( I had forgotten the rest of the name!) about 50-60 km from WB, which was the only point which looked interesting.

I also looked into Scenic alternative but could not find any other than combining the Welwischia plain. But the welwitschia plain route is at least a good couple of hours if you want to stop and see and just not drive by.

It is possible to combine that with the 6 hour plus drive but it is going to be a very very long drive. I suggest if you have time then do the welwitschia drive separately and just get this stertch out of the way in one long hard drive.

Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

The Mountain Zebra got claustrophobia. As Supratik the best is the Apple Pie, good to hear they are continuing after Moose's sad demise, and the most notable landmark the collection of scrap cars.

"Google sez!!!" Garmin and Traks4 Afrika chip say add an hour.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

>>> it is going to be a very very long drive. I suggest if you have time then do the welwitschia drive separately and just get this stertch out of the way in one long hard drive.

sigh...good to know. (was afraid of that!) -K

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

It depends a little on how much time you have. We drove sesriem to swakopmund in June, via the D1983, camping at Mirabib. The landscape is extraordinary (and we did see Zebra) but if your tolerance for open horozon and big sky is low then maybe better to press on through on he main road. Mind you, if your tolerance for open country and big sky is low, maybe rethink Namibia ....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Thanks Henro!

>>Mind you, if your tolerance for open country and big sky is low, maybe rethink Namibia

Looking forward to it! I grew up in big sky country (New Mexico) and now live somewhat claustrophobically in Seattle. Looking forward to stretching my eyes a bit. I think our main limit will be time as we have a reservation that night at Sossus Desert Camp.

Sounds like the advice is to drive straight through. That's fine also as it would put us in earlier at Sossusvlei.

-K

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

If you have a bit more time, one of my favorite spots is the Blutkopje campsite in the Northern Namib (you can reach it from the Welwitschia drive). There is very good game-viewing opportunity on the small roads leading down from there to the main Sossusvlei road (take the D1998). Last time there we saw giraffe, large herds of oryx, many other game (see: www.fjexpeditions.com/frameset/may12.htm ). Blutkopje to Sesriem is comfortably doable in a day, even with multiple stops.

The Tinkas trail is a very nice remote drive, but you need 4wd to do it (no 4wd needed on any of the other tracks in the area).

Edited: 02 August 2014, 18:33
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Thanks Andras!

Great blog! Good photos and lots of ideas for places to go! Now all I need is to convince my wife to take 2 additional weeks to do this trip properly! :)

-K

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

If you have the extra 2 weeks to spare,you won't regret it!!

Sao Paulo, SP
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Hi am planning my trip to gobabeb in Namibia. I will use 1983 route. Can people from this forum help me? Is it safe and good this route to drive with a common car? (No 4x4)? Need I an authorization to drive in this route?

I am a woman drive alone

Thanks a lot

Sao Paulo, SP
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic drives Swakopmund to Sesriem?

Hi am planning my trip to gobabeb in Namibia. I will use 1983 route. Can people from this forum help me? Is it safe and good this route to drive with a common car? (No 4x4)? Need I an authorization to drive in this route?

I am a woman drive alone

Thanks a lot