We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

Hi,

We are starting our tour in Namibia by renting our 4x4 at Ondangwa airport and heading to Etosha.

We will be flying into Windhoek from South Africa, then need to transfer to a flight to Ondangwa from Eros.

There is a 14.30 flight at Eros to Ondangwa - how much time do we need to budget to clear customs/immigration after we land in Windhoek do you think, then get a taxi to Eros to arrive presumably an hour before the flight, so by 13.30.

There's a flight than lands at 12.00 - if the drive is 40 mins to Eros (is that right?), that leaves us 50 minutes to clear customs and get in a cab, enough or too tight?

Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

Too tight for my comfort margins.

I always assume problems and factor them in to any vital connections.

1. Assume your incoming plane won't be on time! Add 30 minutes.

2. Assume Immigration will be congested. Assume an hour to clear the airport WITH luggage.

3. Add 15 minutes to find taxi and agree price.

4. The drive to Eros is normally 45 minutes. Add another 15.

5. Add a margin for check in cut off. Add 30 minutes.

So you need to be at Eros at 13.00. Now factor in those margins. 30+60+15+60. 2h 45 mins.

I would not book any flight scheduled to arrive WDH after 10.15 to safely catch a 14.30 flight from Eros.

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
839 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

I totally agree with Mfue.....he is my "to go guy" for all sorts of questions....there is a lovely hotel complex very close to Eros Airport...Safari Court....beautiful pool and large veranda to sit,relax and have a drink or two....nice restaurant with excellent buffet breakfast..this way you won't be nervous 😓😓😓 and worry am I going to make the plane..

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

Thanks - makes sense, looks like i'll be on the 645am (yikes!) out of cape town landing before 9a.

Can you rent a satellite phone at the airport? I heard cell service is very spotty and a satellite phone for emergencies is a good idea.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

Wise decision on part 1. Cannot help on part 2. Don't carry any sort of phone then trouble cannot find me.

5. Re: Time to clear customs/immigration at Windhoek xfer to Eros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek