We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windhoek Supermarkets

Which Windhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
582 posts
Save Topic
Windhoek Supermarkets

What are the biggest supermarkets in Windhoek to stock up on food? What are the opening hours including Saturday and Sunday?

We might also need to buy some camping gear (gas stoves for cooking for example). Where can we find them?

Thank you

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

You have a big Pick and Pay, Shoprite, Chequers, Woerman Brock and Spar. Windhoek is a major city so they stay open pretty late. I don't remember the exact times but up till 8pm you should be fine.

You can get most everything you need there.

They have a Cymot and Midas where you can get camping gear.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Not a reply as such but another question. Are they open saturday afternoon and sunday morning

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Also be sure to check out Fruit & Veg City for a more healthy supply of foods.

Not sure the exact times either, however, Sundays are slow all around town. I'd plan to gather all your things on Saturday if possible.

Maeura Mall is also a place to look for camping equipment.

Jeremy - Author of Other Places Namibia Travel Guide

Jermibia's Wild Safari Africa /Owner

Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Lots of thanks. Was worried as had been told that shops were shut saturday

afternoon and sunday and we were envisaging having to drive to sesriem

with nothing. Can I also ask - where the map says seasonal

opening for petrol stations does that mean they are open in

namibian summer or winter

Norfolk
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

I see to remember that when we got to a supermarket in Windhoek on a Saturday it was after lunch and no alocohol was sold (all the fridges chained off) from Saturday lunchtime until Monday morning - just in case you wanted to take a beer with you for camping or whatever. make sure you get there in the morning. Gemma would be able to confirm if my recollection is correct.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Supermarkets in Windhoek are open till about 7pm all week but Flossie is correct about alcohol, you need to stock up before 1pm on Saturday as it is against the law to buy alcohol in shops and liquor stores after 1pm on Satuurday or at all on Sundays.

I can't say I have come across seasonal openings for petrol stations, which ones said this? I have come across petrol stations with no petrol but that's a different thing altogether. I recommend filling up your tank wherever possible then you won't have a problem.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Flossie and Gemma thanks for the tip about alcohol not being available from Saturday lunchtime till Monday morning in supermarkets that is worth knowing.

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

With that being said, Beer and a select (not so great) choices of liquor can be purchased at small shebeens all day, every day. Not sure why they are able to and not the bigger shops and liquor stores.

Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help. This has been really useful

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windhoek Supermarkets

Cape Union Mart in the Marua Shopping Mall focus more on clothes and are also more expensive than Cymot. If you need to buy camping equipment, Cymot offers a bigger variety.