We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Windhoek

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Windhoek

Dear All

At the end of our safari in Namibia in June/July, we will spend 2 nights in Windhoek. I am struggling to find accommodation: I was actually looking for a hotel /guest house centrally located (so that we can walk to all main attractions and restaurants) for no more than 100 euro (120 USD) for a double room, inclusive of breakfast.

I have had a look on the reviews of accomodation on TA and it looks like there are very few hotels downtown (which tend to be very expensive) and few guest houses, most of which do not have great review. Most people tend to recommend to stay a bit outsite, in the quieter areas.

I have never been to Namibia before, and I have a bit clueless.

The reasons why I wanted to stay downtown is because I thought it would be easier (so we could walk to restaurants, etc.) and because I thought that after a couple of week safari we would enjoy spending a few days without a car / using taxis.

But now I have some doubts....

- is it safe to walk downtown in the evening (after dark)?

- would it perhaps be better to stay a bit outside and just take a taki into town?

Any comments, reccomendations and suggestions are very welcome....

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

We stayed at Chameleon Backpackers in 2011. They have nice double rooms with or without ensuite bathroom, plenty of common areas, (pool/bar/lounges/internet), and very good rates. The hosts advised taking a taxi if going into town in the evening (and it is dark very early in June/July). However we were only there one night in June (after 42 hours travel), and one night in August so we didn't really make it to town!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

I just stayed at chameleon at the beginning and end of my safari tour. It was very nice there and although i didnt go into town, many people walked there to buy food to cook at the backpackers.

I was also advised to take taxis in the evening and not to take anything expensive with you.

During the middle of my tour i stayed one night at rivendell, and this place is also nice. Bigger pool and options for cooked breakfast. Both places are gated. Not sure how close to downtown it is, but did catch a taxi to have dinner at joes beerhouse.

The taxi charged us $20 per person (normally its around $9 ) even though it wasn't too late, around 10pm?, and they also may pick up other passengers along the way.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
70 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

A third vote for the Chameleon! We loved it there, tidy and clean rooms with an envirnmental consciousness (reuse of water for example).

During day time we walked to the city center. It is an easy walk (about 15 mins) and we felt very safe. You pass by the Namibian crafts center if you feel like buying souvenirs. Actually we didn't feel worried in Windhoek at all by day. In the evening we took a cab to go out to dinner, I don't remember it being as expensive as posted above.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

The less time in WIndhoek the better. Not much to do or see. I would decrease to one night. Just my opinion. I land and get out of windhoek as fast as possible and then drive back the day I am leaving. It is not a tourist city ot even a big city by any western standard. Just kind of boring (sorry, I call it like I see it).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

I also stayed in backpacker and give it a good review. Windhoek has good shopping and nice scenery. Check out some of the craft markets on the hill and take pictures of the old churchs and German archetecture. There is also a nice game meat restaurant ... though im blanking on the name

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

There aren't so many restaurants in the city centre and I wouldn't really say it is worth it to stay in the city centre. Rather stay at a guesthouse in a subburb and than you can drive into the city centre one morning and walk to all the highlights there. There are much more restaurants in a subburb called Klein Windhoek and there are also lots of Guesthouses there. Have a look at Pension Onganga, Elegant Guesthouse, Casa Picolo or Villa Violet. All great places to stay at and they aren't too expensive. Pension Onganga is close to the Avis Dam and it great for a walk around the there as you have a bit of time.

How long you want to stay in Windhoek always depends on what you want to do and see there. Most people only stay one night, but if you do the highlights of Windhoek and maybe also do a township tour, 2 nights is not a bad idea. Or come to Windhoek, stay one night and do everything you want in Windhoek and than drive to a lodge close to the airport and spend your last night in the bush.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

7. Re: Accommodation in Windhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:16