We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

Hi Guys, we hope to travel to Windhoek, Namibia, from Perth, Australia, in July - August 2014, we have a stopover in Johannesburg, could you please let me know if it is recommended / advisable / cheaper, to go to Okavango and Victoria Falls from Johannesburg or do it from Windhoek ? time does not permit driving, therefore we will have to fly, I'm just not sure of the best option, from Jo'burg OR Windhoek ?

thanks a lot

Russel.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

If it were me planning this I would do two trips. Joburg to Vic Falls and Okavango. then fly WDH.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

In 2012 we flew from Cape Town to windhoek spent 2 weeks driving a loop in namibia then flew windhoek to maun and flew into the Okavango delta for a week then flew to kasane (these are charter flights to/from the camps) and travelled by road on to vic falls (Zambian side) for a few days and then flew out from livingstone to JNB. Certainly do-able. But I don't know the logistics of different flights or what works out cheaper, quicker etc. we didn't seem to lose any time doing it that way though.. We booked that with encompass africa based in Brisbane.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

thanks very much for your prompt replies, mfuwe and LKK01, appreciate the suggestions,

Should we book accommodation, in Victoria Falls or Livingstone, which is more convenient

to get to the Falls ? is it possible to do a hike / walk to the Falls ? ( since you mentioned flying back

to JNB from Livingstone )

LKK01 would it be advisable, once we find accommodation in Maun, to then organise a tour into the Okavango, how big a town is MAUN ? we have a few days to spend, but not certain on the dates,

I will also check out the Encompass site, for tours etc:

thanks again and kind regards

Russel.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

I would stay on the Zimbabwe side. Much as I don't like the fella you get the best views and the walks along trails are better. There is an inexpensive camp/chalets about 10 mins from the gate. Unless the fancy Hotels appeal.

Maun is a typical "frontier/Safari" Town. Many Operators are based there. Check on Botswana forum. The D/E is very helpful.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

I would recommend that you fly from Windhoek to Maun, otherwise you have to fly back to Johannesburg and then onto Maun or Vic Falls.

As you will come in through Johannesburg, you could then fly to Namibia, then to Maun from Windhoek and back from Vic Falls to Johannesburg.

As mentioned you would need to use small aircraft to fly into the Okavango Delta and from there you can fly to Kasane. Vis Falla is only 70km away and for that you can use a transfer service.

Clive - Suricate Safaris Namibia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

Excellent advice Clive.

Russell - I have only been to Zambian side I hear zim side has a better view but can't say as I have nothing to compare to. We stayed at zambezi sun hotel which is right next to falls - 2 minutes walk. Will be staying there again at the end of this trip.

I agree with Clive fly into jo'burg then to namibia and from there windhoek to maun charter in and out of the delta and road transfer to the falls. Sounds a lot but worked seamlessly for us and no time wasted was very efficient.

I wouldn't spend time in maun as such use it as transit between namibia and the delta and spend your time there.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

I prefer the zambian side but suppiose it personal preference, both are good. Maun has become quite a busy town which is a good restock opportunity if you selfdrive but not much for fly-ins other than transit to the delta.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

thanks very much Guys, your advice and suggestions have made planning and booking,

a lot easier, we've decide to fly into Maun, from Windhoek, should we book trips / flights into Delta,

well in advance, or would it be OK to organise those once we are in Maun ? we hope to do a mokoro

/canoe trip if possible.

Your advice and personal safety info: on Johannesburg would also be appreciated, we hope to

spend 4 days there on the way home, I will also check that forum.

thanks heaps

Russel.

Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

It all depends what you want to do? Do you only want to do a scenic flight over the delta or do you want to stay in the delta at a lodge? Scenic flights you can book once you are in Maun, but if you want to stay in the Delta, then it is highly advised to pre-book as you will get much better deals early on. Last minute can become very expensive and you will also loose a lot of time trying to figure out what the best option would be.

You can do half day mokoro trips from Maun, but if you opt to stay in the Delta, then choose a lodge that offers this already. You must be aware that some lodges in the Delta don't offer water based activities and you should then think about choosing a lodge that does land and water based activities.

For Johannesburg, have a look at their forum and see what you can do there. Why you want to spend 4 days there I don't understand as they could be used for exploring either more of Namibia/ Botswana or a Park near Johannesburg. But I'm the wrong person to give advise on Jo'burg, as for me I only fly through there and the quicker I'm out, the better.

Clive - Suricate Safaris

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Namibia to Victoria Falls and Okavango

Thanks namXpert, yes, we certainly hope to experience the water activities in the Delta, and yes, we are in the process of organising a lodge which offers all inclusive packages. We plan to drive to Cape Town OR Durban, hence the 4 days in Jo'burg, however our primary objective is driving in Namibia, we've been in touch with Card Board Box Travel, and hope to confirm plans. Any suggestions for Namibia would be appreciated, folks on TP have recommended Fish River Canyon

thanks for your assistance

R