We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation/Taxis in Windhoek!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
44 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation/Taxis in Windhoek!

Can anyone give me an idea on the taxi rates in Windhoek?

The company Dial a cab has been reliable and gives rates of 60 per ride anywhere within Windhoek. They charge 70 for Katutura. I recently called Paradise Tours and they informed me that a ride was 60 for inside Windhoek. However when I took a ride from Academia to Klein Windhoek when I was about to pay I was asked 80. I was told this story about Academia being out of town although it was a 10 minute ride and it is in the Windhoek map. Are there any specific guidelines on how areas are perceived as out of town? I thought Khomasdal and Katutura are 'out of town'. Thank you very much for your feedback. Suggestions of other companies or individuals are also very much appreciated.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation/Taxis in Windhoek!

I don't think you were ripped off. Certainly I would consider Academia as out of town, it is right on the outskirts next to Eros Airport. A taxi from town to Eros would cost you N$80. I would also consider Pioneer's Park and Prosperita as on the outskirts as well.

If you want to be sure then ask your driver or taxi firm in advance what the charge is.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Paris, France
Level Contributor
44 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation/Taxis in Windhoek!

Thanks Gemma for the feedback on taxis and rates. I will be more careful in asking the rates first. But with taxi companies it is the Operator who gives the rates and the driver simply drives you and collects the money.

Regarding the rates, I did ask the company operator/owner two times during the same day for other rides. And I was told that a ride was 60 regardless of the distance.

So when I booked a third ride it did not cross my mind to double check again. And the driver of Paradise Tours was very nice and apologised for the change of rates. He simply informed me that his boss had texted him to charge me 80.

And I have taken the company Dial a cab to the same location and they charge the same rate as anywhere else in Windhoek and even further to the Safari Hotel which is close to the Eros Airport and which hosts many events.

Just for the information of any one else who reads this post, the price of taking a shared taxi in town is 9 N$ and it is 10 N$ to the Eros airport. If you come from Katutura to town it is 18 N$. From Windhoek to Katutura it is 9 N$. You need to tell the driver where you wish to go and they tell you if they are driving in the same direction. You just enter the taxi and pay like every one else when you get off. Normally inside Windhoek it cannot be more than 20 N$ for any location in a shared taxi.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 00:09
3. Re: Transportation/Taxis in Windhoek!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek
Recent Conversations