We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening in Windhoek

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Evening in Windhoek

We will arrive in Windhoek on September 18 for one night before heading out to Etosha. We are staying at the Belvedere Boutique Hotel and understand that "downtown" Windhoek is a short cab ride away. Would an evening walk around in Windhoek be safe? We will probably take the cab drive for dinner, although by the time we get there it will be almost 2 days after we left home in Canada, with stopovers of course. I am sure that we will be burnt out and not very hungry but it would be nice to see at least a little of Windhoek. Any recommendations for a restaurant for a light dinner where we could get a short view of the town would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 16:06
Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Belvedere Boutique Hotel
Belvedere Boutique Hotel
108 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
The Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro
££ - £££, European, Wine Bar, Steakhouse
The Social Restaurant
££ - £££, Mediterranean, European
Joe's Beerhouse
££ - £££, German, African, European
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening in Windhoek

We will arrive in Windhoek on September 18 for one night before heading out to Etosha. We are staying at the Belvedere Boutique Hotel and understand that "downtown" Windhoek is a short cab ride away. Would an evening walk around in Windhoek be safe? We will probably take the cab drive for dinner, although by the time we get there it will be almost 2 days after we left home in Canada, with stopovers of course. I am sure that we will be burnt out and not very hungry but it would be nice to see at least a little of Windhoek. Any recommendations for a restaurant for a light dinner where we could get a short view of the town would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Belvedere Boutique Hotel
Belvedere Boutique Hotel
108 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening in Windhoek

Hi,

If you can book a table, Joe's Beerhouse has a pretty good atmosphere. I would advise against walking after dark.

Mentioned in this post
Joe's Beerhouse
Joe's Beerhouse
334 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening in Windhoek

Joes looks pretty cool. I have marked it on our itinerary. Hopefully we will arrive early and be able to get in. Never sure when you travel what sort of delays you will encounter. Thanks for the suggestion.

Linkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening in Windhoek

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but we have also planned to spend our first evening at Joes after arrival to Windhoek. But I wonder about the feasibility since the flight arrives at 19:10 (and from what I heard, is frequently late) and we will pick up a rental car at the Hosea Kutako airport . We will stay nearby Joes though, so hoping they still serve dinner after 10 PM - would reservations still be recommended for a meal this late in the evening?

Thanks and best regards,

Jimmy

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
5. Re: Evening in Windhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek