We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abuja, Lagos, safety compared to US cities

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Abuja, Lagos, safety compared to US cities

I read on the internet a lot that Lagos "not for the novice traveler" etc. But I would like to get a more comparative view on things for the internet makes it seem as if Lagos is a terribly dangerous place. I have traveled extensively through the US (and abroad) and lived near Chicago and live near New York. I've met Lagosians who say that Chicago and Atlanta much worse than Lagos. So can anyone who has been around provide a comparative perspective? Obviously I am sure common sense goes a long way anywhere, but I am really curious what is the safety situation like. I may be traveling there for a wedding and I just want to know if all of this hype about the dangerous is overblown. I have also heard Abuja is much much safer and violent crime is not that common but also not unheard of.

Barbados
Level Contributor
22 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abuja, Lagos, safety compared to US cities

I have been to Abuja last June and felt very comfortable walking about the city. I was with locals of course so was in good hands but I didn't have any problems. There isn't too much to see or do in the city but it certainly comes alive at night. I loved it.

Like all cities just use common sense. Don't go out with lots of expensive stuff or alone at night.

There have been some problems there but security is pretty high. All cars and taxis are examined before being allowed into public spaces.

I wasn't harrased by anyone and am looking forward to going back in November.

2. Re: Abuja, Lagos, safety compared to US cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Nigeria