We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

2 posts
Save Topic
Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

Hi,

I have booked my flights to Reunion Island (from Mauritius) and am very excited to explore the amazing country. I am looking to get away for a while and explore the trails and natural wonders (waterfalls, caves, cultures and mountains) of Reunion Island in the limited time that I have. I fly into Roland Garros early on the 11th of July and leaving on the 16th July and hoping to go trekking for 3-4 days.

I was hoping whether you can help me with booking tours or tour guides which seems very expensive as solo backpacker?

- I have read other threads and others say it is fine to hike on your own as the trails are well marked. Which trails and areas to stay overnight would be the most worthwhile? - I have seen some suggestions of hiking to and staying at la Nouvelle, Trois Roches, Marla?

I am a very active person and am an avid trail runner in Cape Town so fitness would not be an issue, I just want to make the most of the trip from a cultural experience and and being in the outdoors.

Thank you for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

Yes you can do a 2 or 3 day hiking trip on your own in the upper Mafate circus, staying in 'gites'.If you rent a car, you can leave it at the pass at the top of the Salazie circus. Then also go to the Poton de la Fournaise for a day.

Or if you have no car you do a 'traverse' trek, starting in a circus and ending at another one, possibly including Piton des Neiges, or Mafate from the top to the bottom.

ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

Hi,

I am looking at doing a similar trip by myself in early November. I am also a trail runner. Could you kindly let me know what you ended up doing & if you would recommend it?

Enjoy your trip

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

By the way, trail running is hugely popular in La Reunion so you may want to contact local clubs there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

Hi Reece

How did you go?

I’ll be travelling solo to Reunion and would also like to take public buses to do some day hikes around the mountain/ volcanoes. I speak a little French so hope that’ll hold me in good stead.

Thanks!

toronto
Level Contributor
314 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

We saw quite a few trail runners while hikng in Reunion this November! It was amazing how fast they ran up and down the trail.

It is possible to do hikes using public transport, you just need to know the time table and coordinate. They are quite on time! We did Piton des Neiges from Cilaos by bus and to la Nouvelle but went with car to pition de la Fournaise.

Trou aux Biches
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

Hi, I am leaving for Reunion in a few days. I also want to do some solo hiking trails. Do you know of any good camping spots or backpackers / hostels?

Thanks

Tiaan

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice

There are lots of trails. randomitons.re lists them all. In the Mafate circus and some places along the long distance GRR2 there are 'gites' for accomodation. Camping wild is also possible. But that's all for the dry season ! In the wet season, much of it is impossible.

Reply to: Reunion Island Solo travel - Trip advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reunion Island
Recent Conversations