We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
221 posts
157 reviews
Advice needed

I am planning a trip to Reunion at the end of November.

We would prefer to stay at a beach hotel and tour the island by car. However, I have read that clouds will prevent visibility at the natural wonders of the island after early morning. What time at the latest should we arrive e.g. at Piton de la Fournaise and other major places to be able to enjoy the view? And which natural sights do the clouds prevent from enjoying properly?

I am also thinking of a helicopter ride. I noticed they offer it at 7, 8 and 9 am. Is 9 am too late to see the views properly without clouds?

I am aware that Reunion is not known for its beaches (and we will also go to Mauritius). As said, we would prefer to have our hotel at the beach if it is possible to see the nature after driving the winding roads.

Having checked hotel prices, I am thinking of Hotel Le Relais de l’Hermitage. I saw somewhere that Hermitage is among the best beaches on the island. Is that so - we like calm water, beautiful view and easy to swim?

Thanks for your help!

3 replies to this topic
toronto
Level Contributor
362 posts
364 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed

You can check my trip report submitted on December 26th at TA. Or my blog. We were there in November for 12 days this year. We also went to Mauritius for 10 days before arriving Reunion. We did more beach related activities in Mauritius and more hiking in Reunion. But the snorkel right from the beach at St. Pierre was amazing. We felt safe and no need to get to the boat or swim far from the shore.

Antananarivo...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Advice needed

While staying in Reunion be sure to not use the SIXT Car Rental company. I was just in Reunion and was charged for damages that I did not cause. There are many other rental companies available. Just wanted to give you advance warning. It is a beautiful Island, have a great time.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
221 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed

Thanks. Car rental is always a bit scary although until now I have had no trouble. I always try to get full coverage insirance but it is not always available.

I will the tripreport when I return home from my current trip (now in the Philippines) if not earlier.

Reply to: Advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reunion Island
Recent Conversations