We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

I am an Australian tourist who organised a cash transfer to pay my accommodation in advance as requested. I duly paid my transfer, plus 22 Euro in international transfer fees to said accommodation (which I have not named). Today I received an email stating that BRED (which seems to be the main bank that Reunionais deal with) has supposedly taken another 20 euros out of this transfer. Is this only happening to Australian/NZ tourists? I am aware that transfers from Australia often have to involve a third party but this seems unusually high being that said bank is based in France in that is only 1 transfer from Australia. I am aware that the more affordable transfer options (ozforex, currencyfair) refuse to transfer from Australia to Reunion so that leave us with limited options. Has anyone else experienced this? I have requested evidence of this cash removal from BRED as I feel I am within my rights to have this demonstrated.

If the owner refuses to supply me evidence, which agency can I lodge a complaint with? What seemed like passable affordable 2 star accommodation has quickly become rather overpriced and I really wished I had just booked a property on expedia/booking.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

People living in the EU do bank transfers for free inside the EU. Personally I refuse to book anything outside the EU that requires a bank transfer. A Western Union transfer is more acceptable, there the cost is very clear upfront.

Creteil, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

If it's the act came from the owner I think it's a scame. For 20€ The guy thinking you will say nothing. I hope your trip impression will be over this incidence.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

I think so as well Nijinija, I downloaded the BRED product disclosure myself since (as I am now getting quite angry) and it quite clearly states that this is the fee outside of the Eurozone. And yet this owner insists on informing me that the BRED branch told them it was my fault as I directed someone in Australia to not pay (as if this is possible!) Unbelievable.

If you are getting tourists to deposit into your account I believe it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to be aware of the fees in your product disclosure. I know mine if anyone sends me money from Europe. I'm stuck as they already have a percentage of my money, and all I can really do is inform them that they should take responsibility as it is their product. It will be in the review of the establishment of course!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

So did you manage to sort this out ? What was the outcome ?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

When I arrived, the manager asked for the money explaining that I had not paid for a triple (I knew however this wasn't true). I explained that this was not true and provided my bank receipt so that he could see I indeed pay the proper amount (I really disliked being told that I had never paid for a triple) and then explained to him that the owner had demanded the extra money to cover bank fees that she claims she was not aware of and I explained that I was extremely unhappy.

Luckily he could see my point and agreed that I should not have to incur costs that I did not know about and that was the end of the matter

6. Re: Reunion accommodation payments and costs to be aware of

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Reunion Island