We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for gorilla trekking

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for gorilla trekking

I am going to Rwanda in June and wondered whether jeans would be okay for trekking. I have looked at trekking trousers, but a lot of them seem to be really thin material. I thought about buying two pairs of cheap jeans and wearing one pair each day then just leaving them for the staff.

Also I know you need to wear long sleeved tops, but how thick does the material need to be, would t-shirt type tops be okay.

Thanks.

Madikwe Game...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

Jeans are good - any tough material is fine, and just wear the same pair both days. They don't need to be cheap/disposable, they don't get that trashed! Also take a pair of rain pants (you can get really cheap ones, you only need to wear them twice) in case it is really raining. (I went in November which is supposed to be rainy and it was gorgeous - my friend went in June which is the dry season and it rained for the entire week she was there ... be prepared.)

Denim shirt is perfect - just not stretch or t shirt which can snag on thorns.

Wear good boots - take a pair of socks for each day -they get wet and muddy! And take a pair of gardening or building gloves ... that would be my most important piece of advice.

And try and get Francois as your guide ... that's my second most important piece of advice!

Enjoy - send my love to the gorillas (I've written an artice about Rwanda which should get posted today - have a look if you need any other info).

Northern California
Level Contributor
790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

Poppyr -- I gently disagree with the previous clothing advice. You might to read the post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293828-i9987-k116…

I think that you should assume that nothing will dry. That is one of a couple of reason why I would not take or wear anything cotton (including jeans)or wool--and the pockets in "hiking" pants are wonderful. Ultimately it does not matter what you wear -- the gorillas are magnificent.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

Thanks for the replies, although I am now a little confused as to what to wear.

We are trekking two days in a row and I was planning to have a complete change of clothes the second day so I don't have to worry about anything drying overnight and I will be leaving all of the clothes for the locals.

I might still go with the cheap jeans idea unless I can find good trekking trousers that don't cost the earth as most likely I wouldn't wear them again.

SF
Level Contributor
88 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

We just got back from this amazing trip in December, the rainy season.

Nothing dries. We took two sets and gave them away to the locals after we finished, in addition to a whole bag of old clothes we carried for charity.

It is a really poor country and the locals are happy for anything that can be spared, especially pens, pencils, crayons and paper for kids.

We wore jeans and thick cotton shirts and still got pricked by thorns in the jungle. I would recommend thick clothes, jeans, long sleeve cotton t-shirts/shirts. Good socks and shoes. carry anti-itch ointment for after.

An absolutely fabulous camera and video equipment.

In the end, the previous comment is bang on, whne you see the Gorillas you forget everything else!

have a breat trip and contact me if you need any more help.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

Thanks very much for your reply. I have now decided that I will take two pairs of cheap jeans and leave them for the staff.

We are planning to take lots of stuff as well for the locals and children. We are on a very short trip and are only in Rwanda for 3 nights but will make sure we take our full luggage allowance and will be coming back with virtually empty suitcases!

We went to Africa for the first time last year on safari in Kenya and were loaded down with things for a school we visited. I have been collecting things since we got back in my "Africa" case for our future trips and have got a case full of things already!

Can't wait until June. I'll have to start my fitness regime soon so that I can cope with all that trekking!!!

6. Re: Clothing for gorilla trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 08:19