We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies

We are travelling to Rwanda in June. We will be staying two nights in a hotel in Kigali and one night in the Gorillas Nest Lodge, doing two gorilla treks, then back home. I just wondered if you need rabies innoculations for the gorilla trek.

I actually work in a Doctors surgery and when they checked it for me on the computer if the trip was described as a safari we didn't need rabies, but if it is described as backpacking we did need rabies. As it is an organised trek with guides I wasn't sure if this was the same as backpacking.

We have all the other necessary vaccinations and thought we would only need malaria tablets. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lauwe
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabies

The injections you need (obligatory) are:

- Yellow Fever (comes with a yellow card - carnet jaune)

- Hepatitis

- Meningitis

- Cholera (most of the time no longer given)

All the rest is totally not necessary, Rwanda's a pretty clean country.

Malaria pills:

- Malarone (GSK) is very expensive, you'll have to take one a day and you still have a 5% chance of getting it (if bitten by an infected mosquito). No side-effects

- Lariam is cheap, 12 pills a box, 1 pill a week. Some people 'suffer' side-effects like hallucinations, bad dreams, ... It only happens occasionaly and for some people. Not mentally dangerous if taken for a shorter period (few months).

The mosquitos carying malaria are only active at night after 3 AM until early morning. By that time you'll be under your nets, sprayed under with your deet sprays (which are mostly ineffective in some areas). Note that Kigali is rather high (1000m) and few mosquitos actually survive there...

I've got like hundreds of mosquito bites and didn't got infected. I had a few boxes of malarone (for 6 weeks), my net and a deet which I stopped using after 10 days.

Don't forget to bring a wide-spectrum antibioticum, it's usefull when you get sick and suffer from bronchitis (most of western people get that after 2-4 weeks from the climate, don't worry, its only once in a lifetime you need to adapt to this).

Regards,

Martijn

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabies

I don't know about Scotland, but here in the US, Malarone is not expensive at all if you have health insurance. We did not experience any side effects with it either.

3. Re: Rabies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 21:20