We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money and lunch

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
money and lunch

We arrive Kigali around midday, can I exchange my Aussie dollars into Rwandan Francs without any problems? Exchange at airport or in Kigali? Do I need any US$s at all or should I just use all Francs (tips, drinks, lunches)?

Any recommendations for a nice lunch in nice surrounds when we arrive, a view maybe (?) somewhere with a beer or wine would be good.

Tilbury, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money and lunch

Good questions, some are easy to answer, some not.

There is a forex at the airport but the rates are a rip off. The are loads of forex in Kigali that offer a better rate. It's possibly better to use USD, Euro or GBP to exchange. With USD get the most recent notes possible, they don't like older notes. In fact for USD the rate can vary depending on the size and age of the note. I've never has any problems changing Euros or GBP. If you have an international visa card there is an ATM at the airport you can use (if its working).

So, lunch, that is a big question. What do you want, sandwich, full meal etc etc. What would your choice be?

What are your travel options? Do you have a driver arranged or will you need a taxi?

How long will you be in Kigali for? Quick in and out or are you here for a couple of days and if that is the case where are you staying as that may be a good option for lunch?

Laters,

Simon

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money and lunch

Sorry, should have elaborated. Im on the "gorilla express" (sadly). So we arrive about 1pm, picked up by guide, visit genocide museum and then head up to the mountins that afternoon. So we wont have "hours" to spend over a long lunch, but would like to get off the plane, sit in a cafe/ restaurant (outdoors if poss overlooking city?), dont want a sandwich on the run, want to sit, have a drink and food (anything) served, cost-doesnt really matter. Of course we simply may not have time for all this, in which case a good recommendation for a good sandwich on the run is appreciated, to cover both bases.

Tilbury, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money and lunch

In which case I would suggest that you visit either Soleluna which is on the main airport road next to the Beausejour Hotel or the New Cactus which is at the top of Kiyovu Hill. Both will do a good lunch where cane enjoy a drink and good views.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money and lunch

Change some dollars to Rwandan Francs to spend on meals, drinks etc.

You may stay with a few dollars.

May be you can take some photos inside the genocide and you may share with us here.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money and lunch

Useful tips, am going tomorrow for the weekend, so excited!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money and lunch

Thanks for the help.

7. Re: money and lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:22