We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

New York, NY
12 posts
Save Topic
Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

I am running into a problem with trying to plan a Kenya-Tanzania-Rwanda safari. It seems that the tour operators are only accepting wire transfers vs. credit cards. I don't trust wire transfers because there is no protection against loss or theft of my money.

Are there any African tour companies that accept credit cards or PayPal? We are trying to book a combined safari in Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda (for the gorilla trek) for 2 adults for a total of 2 weeks.

Canyone recommend a reliable tour company that offers a Kenya/Tanzania safari PLUS the gorilla trek in Rwanda? Please advise. Thanks.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

I've booked with the Ugandan based Churchill Safaris for our Uganda/Rwanda trip and they accept credit cards and paypal. That said, it was more expensive so we opted for bank transfer but the option was there.

I know they do cover the countries you mention but would probably be outsourcing it to local companies. But yes, there are companies who offer it.

I see Amahoro tours accept visa (they are Rwanda based) so you could consider breaking your trip into components and using a couple of companies who accept credit card.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

I have ever used Span Safaris on my trip to Rwanda early January and i paid my deposit using Visa Credit card. be aware, they do not accept American express or Master Cards. only visa cards are accepted. their address is info@rwandasafariadventure.com

Wish you all the best and really the gorilla trekking experience is good.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

dac10012,

90% of Tour companies in Africa use Wire money transfer simply because the proceedure for getting credit card machines is long. And to issue you this machine, you must be carrying out large transactions.

They are mainly used by big companies like big supermarkets.

However there are some Tour companies that have them, do google search.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

After googling your search, you may contact AUTO in uganda and KATO in Kenya if the company you have chosen is a member of any of those organisations.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

Note that there are Companies that offer excellent services and are neither member of KATO or AUTO.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,194 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

The answer to your question is "No!" Several Operators WILL accept payment by CC etc., but they are the exception rather than the rule. Where they are accepted there is a hefty 5-8% loading.

I have used Bank Transfers for virtually all my trips and have never had a problem Whilst it may be a 'comfort' for some to use their CC it is distinctly uncomfortable for the operators who face unwarranted 'chargebacks' from thieving and unscrupulous travellers with little redress. I understand that even Paypal is not immune to such tactics.

In short. Get to know who you are dealing with, trust them, and pay by Transfer. Failing that then pay by CC or deal with an agent in your own country and pay more.

You cannot have your cake and your halfpenny!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

mfuwe - have you moved? Diego Garcia?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,194 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

Once an Island person always an Island person. Anything to reduce the number of Pop under ratings I get.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 13:53
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

Ah :) I know what you mean - I love islands and the water.

Funny, I haven't had any of those in a while - thought they'd stopped.....

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do all African tour co.s accept ONLY wire transfers vs. CC?

Anything to reduce the number of Pop under ratings I get.

??????

Yes I wondered whether you had actually moved and whether it was an actual real place - which it is.