We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Applying for Rwandan visa online

Amsterdam
6 posts
Save Topic
Applying for Rwandan visa online

Hey Tripadvisors!

am travelling to Rwanda in January. For some reason, Dutch citizens (of which I am one) need an entry visa.

I have two options. The first is to apply via the embassy, which means handing over my passport and dealing with the typical, rude embassy staff. ( am speaking from experience with Ukrainian, Russian and Ghanian staff, maybe Rwandan embassy staff are different). Plus need it to travel in the meantime.

There is also the option to fill in a form online for an entry visa, which I can then pick up at the border. Has anyone done this? And if so, was it trustworthy/doable?

thanking you all in advance,

Nick

Alberta
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

As a Canadian we also need a visa.... I just filled the form out online and got an email back within a couple of days with an acceptance letter that we printed off. Just need to take the letter and pay the visa fee at arrival. We don't go until December but from what I understand from previous posts this works fine.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

Hi Belcampo

I needed a visa too (Irish passport holder) and travelled at the end of May this year. I used the online service and it worked fine. I did have to wait for what seemed like a ridiculously long time at the border (not in a queue, that moved quickly) but the official was quite surly and not at all friendly (in total contrast to the Ugandan officials). He took my letter and passport (confirming I was to be given visa on arrival), made a phone call, looked on the computer, did whatever. Then held out his hand for the $30 mine cost and a few minutes later, that was it. I'm not sure if it took so long because we crossed at a different border than was on my letter.

So definitely do it online - it is straightforward enough but if crossing at a border crossing (rather than airport), allow about one hour minimum to cross as cars get checked also. I imagine it would be much quicker at the airport. Some border crossings are busier than others. But sure, it's all part of the adventure :)

Amsterdam
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

Hi Hockeyalberta and Ponaire,

Thanks for getting back to me. The online application route sounds good. :-)

Will let you know how it went.

Best,

Nick

Luxembourg...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

Hello guys,

Next week I wil be in Kigali, and I have applied for the visa online, and after 3 days I obtained (via email) the confirmation letter that my visa is ready to be obtained at arrival and costs USD 30. Do I need to bring a passport photo with me, or not required?

Thanks a lot!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

I didnt in may. check your online visa letter as on mine it stated that i had to present the letter and $30 so if requirements have changed, if should state what you need in that letter or accompanying email.

London, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

what is the address you went to to do the on line application for Rwanda visa if you are a Canadian

Alberta
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

We used this link for our visa online application. Recieved our acceptance letter within 2 days.

canada.embassy.gov.rw/index.php…

You will find the application link in green.

Hope this helps

Edited: 15 October 2012, 18:25
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

Ahhh thank you so much for the linkHockeyAlberta!! I was wondering about that how to apply for us Canadians! :D And thank you everyone else for their great information!

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

hey guys,

wow. great to see I'm not the only one whose got q's.

Here's another one for ya: I need to provide an invitation letter with the online visa application form. would uploading accomodation confirmation be enough? or do i need to get a proper invitation letter.

best

nick

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Applying for Rwandan visa online

I just recieved my invitation letter from Amahoro today ( we just booked and paid yesterday) without my even having to ask so that was super easy lol. Are you going through a company for your time there? Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question though.

Anyone know what's going on with the Canadian website (linked above)? The application form is well.. missing, lol.