We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top 5 things to do

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
top 5 things to do

Hi

im trying to come up with the top 5 things i should do while in rwanda?I googled it but..i'd like to hear from you guys?

thanks and regards

anna

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top 5 things to do

1.Gorilla trekking- Permit to be booked in advance

2.Golden monkey tracking

3.Chimpanzee tracking

Others

-Kigali genocide memorial

-Akagera national park

-Lake kivu

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: top 5 things to do

1. Gorilla trekking in PNV- permits should be booked in advance at ORTPN or through a tour operator.

2. Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe

3. Golden Monkey trekking

4. Dian Fossey Hike

5. Genocide Memorial tours or Akagera Game Park or Lake Kivu

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top 5 things to do

My top 5 favourites were:

Gorilla Trekking (obviously)

Kigali Genocide Memorial - incredibly moving

Colobus monkey trek at Nyungwe - good for photos

Chimpanzee trek at Nyungwe - we were lucky but this can be hit or miss

Taking a boat out on Lake Kivu - and lovely to hear the fishermen singing at night

Good Luck with your planning

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: top 5 things to do

1.Gisozi genocide memorial

2. Chimpanzee trekking/canopy walking in Nyungwe

3. Akagera national park or king palace or national museum

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: top 5 things to do

1.Gisozi genocide memorial

2. Chimpanzee trekking/canopy walking in Nyungwe

3. Akagera national park or king palace or national museum

Gitarama, Gitarama...
Level Contributor
39 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top 5 things to do

I am a bit biased because I work with Azizi Life but I have also lived in Rwanda for 5 years and so feel I can still contribute with a few suggestions for my favourite things to do:

1) Azizi Life Experiences. Learn what life is like for a rural artisan and take part in a day long adventure.

2) A couple of days by the Lake in Kibuye - I like to stay in Home St Jean as it has beautiful views but, is cheaper than the other places. I also like to take a boat out to the islands - one is full of bats and the other is a good place to relax and swim.

3) The Genocide memorial in Kigali is a heart wrenching experience but well worth doing. There is also a less well know Museum in Kigali (in an area called Kanombe) that is on the site of the ex-Presidents house. This is a fascinating place with beautiful gardens and secret passage ways.

4) The kings palace in Nyanza can be very good if you get a good guide. Also nearby the Palace is Gatagara pottery which is a great place to look around. You can do the Kings Palace and the Pottery place, all in one day.

5) Finally you have the more expensive touristy things such as the Gorillas, the Rain Forest and the Safari Park (I have listed these in order of my preference).

Whatever you end up doing in Rwanda I am sure you will have an amazing time. It really is a beautiful and wonderful country. One suggestion I would make is to check out the Living in Kigali website, as they have lots of information on up coming events and things to do around the capital city.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: top 5 things to do

thank you everyone :)

i think my list is almost done :)

8. Re: top 5 things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Rwanda