We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

Hi,

Me and a friend would like to go to see the gorillas in Rwanda, and from previous threads I thought the permit would cost 500 dollars for the day, but my friend has heard that you HAVE TO book through an agency and go on a 4 day, 3 night tour of 1300 dollars.

So.. could you just go for 1 day trekking and if so, what is the price more or less for this?

Thanks a lot!!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

Permit now costs $750 in Rwanda. You don't have to go through an agency but it tends to be more convenient because they will arrange transport etc for you. You can buy from ORPTN and there are threads coverinng this.

You have to be at the meeting point at Kinigi at around 7am which is why it makes sense to stay overnight the night before near the park. A comment often made is that Volcanoes lodge (top-end) is actually an hour away from this. But even from there you will need a 4x4 to get to the trailhead. If you don't have your own transport, it is common for it to cost at least $80 - this has been quoted from Kinigi Guesthouse which is a budget accommodation option very, very close to the park headquarters so it would be more expensive from other places. You might be lucky and be able to get a lift with other tourists with room in their vehicle (we gave another couple a lift in our vehicle) but it isn't guaranteed.

It is almost essential then to overnight again in the area. You might get lucky and get a close group (we only had about a 45minute trek I think from trailhead to our group) - but some groups e.g. Susa can be far away and you could spend the best part of the day trekking. Plus people tend to want to head straight for a shower after the trek so that's why you almost always do a 2 night stay around PNV. You could ask for a group near the park and if you got lucky, you could be back in Kigali that afternoon/evening. The trouble is if you don't - the gorillas can move...

I guess the 3 night option would be 1 night Kigali, 2 nights around PNV.

But yes, you can do it independently but it isn't really done as a daytrip from Kigali due to the factors outlined above e.g. early start (what if you get a flat tyre?), not assigned group until you're there so no guarantee of a group nearby, if you get wet or have a tough trek, you probably would want to get showered and changed fairly quickly.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

If you buy gorilla permits through a travel company, expect to pay more than 750$ because they incur costs to purchase your permits.

Cots include phone calls to reserve the permits, fuel to collect them etc.

As Ponaire says, if you intend to travel independently, better to buy it from RDB, unless if you want the whole package of 3 days.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

I did a one day gorilla treck last November. My friends and I organised it through Bizidanny and I could not recommend him more! We met with our driver Tarzan in Kigali the day before and drove to the hotel that we were going to be staying at (expect stunning scenery and opportunities for photo stops). Having arrived at our hotel we wanted to go to Ibyiwacu culture village but unfortunately it started to rain. This proved to be no problem for Tarzan who suggested that we went to see some lakes instead. Tarzan then managed to get us into the group the next day where we saw the nearest group of gorillas so that we had time to visit the cultural village on route home. It was such a fantastic experience!

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

Thank you so much for the responses, this is very helpful information.

The reason that we want to do the 1 day trek is that we have VERY limited budget, and trying to do it as cheap as possible. So if we book through an agency for a 1 day tour, like scottishgal5 , what would we pay for that?

Thanks!

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

Another thing, we would like to do this mid/late November, but I am now going through the forums and am getting nervous that its already too late?!

Would we have a better shot in Uganda?

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

You can do day trips from Kigali. We trekked with two guys who did this, they left Kigali at 4am and went back that afternoon. I would be suprised if you would be allocated Susa if you are on a day trip and the driver knows this. It will be his job to negotiate a group - which appeared to involve a big group if fellas, a lot of jostling and animated discussion and eventually everyone is happy.

We went on a 3 night trip with primate safaris. I believe they are one of the larger (if not largest) operators. I can't tell you how much it was as it was part of a longer trip, but it was well organized and we did two treks, one fairly easy of about 3 hours and the other a tad over 4 hours. This does not include getting to the trek start or hanging around at the ranger station. I would suggest to stay the night before if you can, but would not say its essential if you can get up at 3am and function! We didn't feel the need to shower and change in order to head back to Kigali. We went for lunch, got our boots cleaned whilst we ate and then headed back to Kigali and got a shower and change if clothes there.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

November is a low season. Am sure you can still get the Permits. Its only during the peak season that you may fail to get the Permits if you do not book in advance.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

You would be best to get in touch with the tour company that you are looking into for a price as the price is dependent upon how many of you there are going.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

$1300 is fair deal.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going for a one day gorilla trek possible (and price) ?

Gorilla permits for November are still available .

Rwanda permits cost 750$

Uganda , UWA is selling promotional permits to trekkers for November 2012; April 2013 and May 2013.

Foreign Non-residents = $350

Foreign Residents $300

Ugandans $150

I think you stand a better chance to save your Dollars if you trekked in Uganda.

You can do it 3 days from Kampala to Bwindi

or

Fly into Kigali and connect to Bwindi in Uganda.

You need to book the permits soonest.