We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

midtown
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

I am in Rwanda for a few more weeks and I was wondering where I can see some game/animals - that could potentially be child friendly if I return with my kids later this year. I understand in Akagera that you have to head north from lodging in the south for 4 hours to see many animas. I would like to travel overland. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

Uganda has Several National parks where you can view animals as oppossed to Rwanda.

Murchison falls national park is the best, followed by Queen Elizabeth park and last being Lake Mburo for Overland.

Kidepo national park is also good and I can not recommend it for overland when you have kids. Flying over there is the best option and it is costly.

Semiliki park also has a few animals.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

Akagera is becoming more and more interesting for 3 to 4 days visitors , i know people who have just ended it and said was wonderful .

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

Akagera is becoming more and more interesting for 3 to 4 days visitors , i know people who have just ended it and said was wonderful .

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

kigali
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

I can advise you to visit akagera national park

I have been there many times with the kids

And we saw many animals in the north park

The guide and person who drove us are very experienced , it wad awesome

If you need to know more

You can reach these guy will help you

Eliarutabingwa@yahoo.com

Thank you

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

Akagera is good but Queen Elizabeth National Park is far better than akagera.. Contact AUTO members for quotations...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

Akagera is a great place to see zebra, giraffes, hippos and a nice variety of very endearing big-eyed antelope type things and other little critters. If you are extremely lucky you will also see elephants - I was there for two days and saw none but the quantity of dung on the track suggests there are plenty. The terrain is absolutely stunning and vary varied, from lake shore up to the ubiquitous Rwandan hills. I hired a 4x4 and drove myself and it was excellent. You can camp out in the middle of the park which is an incredible experience and gives a feeling of total isolation. The only downside for me were the tsetse flies which, at lower ground, are everywhere - they stalk the heat of the engine. If you can make it to Uganda I would highly recommend Murchison Falls national park. It boasts the big cats, lots of elephants, buffalo, giraffes and more and I bet the kids would love the Nile boat ride as well as the game drive (crocodiles, hippos, fish eagles etc and the beautiful waterfall of course which is a fun additional hike). In terms of lodging, there are quite a few safe but fun places to stay by the river. The murchison river lodge has astonishingly good food and v nice tents and you have the joy of hearing hippos grunting as they graze at nighttime!

8. Re: View game in Akagera or elsewhere (Uganda)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rwanda