We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Houston, Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Hello,

We've finalized out honeymoon plans and will doing a 7 day safari in Tanzania, then flying from JRO to Kigali for the rest of our trip.

1. I'm not sure if we should go with a full tour/operator for the entire 4 days or book a driver and plan ourselves. Thoughts?

2. How would you spend 4 days in Rwanda? We want to relax too, and not be trekking/hiking tons every day since it's our honeymoon. We are only doing 1 day of gorilla trekking, no option of increasing it to 2 days b/c that is out of our budget. This is our plan so far.

Day 1: Arrive in Kigali at night

Day 2: Spend day in Kigali - museum, cultural visits (?), Drive to Ruhengeri

Day 3: Gorilla Trekking

Day 4: ?

Day 5 & 6: ?? We have a 2am flight from Kigali on Day 6, so need to make it make to Kigali by evening time on Day 5.

Should we go to any other parks? Lake Kivu? I definitely want to visit some markets while we are there. Not too keen on seeing the Golden Monkeys, but I guess that's always an option.

Thank you!!!!

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Your Itinerary is well arranged.

Day 4- Visit lake Kivu through day 5 for relaxation.

Day 5 -Afternoon transfer to Kigali for your late flight.

You need to book your gorilla permits a head of time.

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

We went to Gisenyi, Lake Kivu after gorilla trek, and stayed in Hotel Paradis Malahide two nights. Can't recommend enough, very relaxing spot and not ruining your economy. You may also consider Golden Monkeys, much cheaper ($100) than gorillas, easy trek. We did and did not regret

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

We went to Gisenyi, Lake Kivu after gorilla trek, and stayed in Hotel Paradis Malahide two nights. Can't recommend enough, very relaxing spot and not ruining your economy. You may also consider Golden Monkeys, much cheaper ($100) than gorillas, easy trek. We did and did not regret

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Hi-

As a first port of call, I'd check the availability of gorilla permits They do need booking in advance and if/when you are able to get a permit may well affect the order of your itinerary. With 6 nights I'd definitely echo the comments in favour of Lake Kivu- lovely to relax after your gorilla trek,and there's a lot that you can do in the area.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Houston, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Thank you all!!

I've contacted some operators and drivers to get quotes and see if it's cheaper to do a tour or book our own car and drive. Any feedback on this? The quote I got from an operator seems to be quite high; I think we could arrange it ourselves for much cheaper if we hired a driver! I need to figure out how to buy the permits - is it possible to do this through the hotel?

Brooklyn-Phoenicia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

I just purchased my permits directly through the Rwanda Tourism Office. Contact them here: www.rwandatourism.com/index.php/our-contacts

You tell them the date you want, they will tell you if it's available. If so, you wire them the money ($750.00 per), they reserve your permit and pick them up in Kigali. You may have to pay a few extra bucks when you pick them up due to wire transfer/bank fees (btw $15-$30USD).

You can arrange a driver through your hotel. Going rate is $80-$100USD. You could also show up at the park hdqtrs day of your trek and try to hitch a ride with others. Risky, but I've heard some people do it.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:50
Gitarama, Gitarama...
Level Contributor
36 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Hi there. I am biased as I work with them but if you have a spare day in Rwanda you could check out an Azizi Life Experience. Here is a link to the trip advisors reviews. Let me know if you want any more details.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2720361-d…

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

Day 4: you can trek the golden monkey / visit the lake kivu.

9. Re: Please help me plan 4 days in Rwanda in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:30