We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

Hello all. Back with another couple of questions.

I will be doing a golden monkey and 2 gorilla treks, spending 3 nights at the Gorilla Mountain View Lodge. Should any of the treks be over by mid-day, I would like to take side trips to (1) Lake Burera and Rugezi Birding Site and/or (2) Lake Kivu. The distance to Lake Kivu looks longer, but the roads to that tourist destination may be better than those further inland. I will have a driver throughout my stay in Rwanda. I know he'll have views on the matter, and that I'll be dependent on him. Has anyone done either of these side trips in a half day and, if I had to choose one, which should it be? Any input would be appreciated. Or if there are other half-day doable side trips, I'd love to know about them.

Second question is about night-time temperature for sleeping in 3rd week in September. I'll be traveling from Tanzania, wghere severe weight restrictions limit the amount of gear I can take with me. Is light nightwear going to be sufficient, given I have a fleecy jacket? Have I read about fires in the rooms and hot water bottles?

Thanks as always for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Kivu
Lake Kivu
49 Reviews
Rwanda
Red Rocks Rwanda
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Birding and Educational Tours Rwanda
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
AA Tours Rwanda
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

You can visit Lake Ruhondo and Lake Burera

Alternatively

I byiwacu village is posisble

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

Lake Kivu is very nice, but given the time restrictions the visit will be very short. We stayed there 2 days after gorillas. The road is very good tarmac. The night temperatures are chilly in Ruhengeri area, typically the lodges put fire in firepleces in the evening but it doesn't help a lot. The hot water bottles make wonders though and light nightwear is ok

Mentioned in this post
Lake Kivu
Lake Kivu
49 Reviews
Rwanda
Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

Lake Kivu is very nice, but given the time restrictions the visit will be very short. We stayed there 2 days after gorillas. The road is very good tarmac. The night temperatures are chilly in Ruhengeri area, typically the lodges put fire in firepleces in the evening but it doesn't help a lot. The hot water bottles make wonders though and light nightwear is ok

Mentioned in this post
Lake Kivu
Lake Kivu
49 Reviews
Rwanda
4. Re: Side trips from Musanze/Rungeri and night temps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:15